Windows 7 Windows Update Error 80072f8f

Anonymous
2009-12-29T15:41:51+00:00

When trying to perform a windows update you may receive this error.

I just wanted to post that I found the fix in that the GTW CyberTrust certificate authority is not trusted in Windows 7/Internet Explorer.

Installing this certificate authority into the trusted authorities allows windows update to continue.

I could not find any solution after searching this site, so thought a post would work.

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-08T15:52:20+00:00

I had the same problem with mine, i tried the thing guitarfish suggested but that didn't work. Didn't understand how it can be becuase of the date and time, after hours of searching on the net, I managed to fix the problem myself and heres how i did it

click on your time and date (bottom right) then a windows should pop up, click on the link 'change date and time settings'. on the date and time window click on the internet time tab, click on Change settings button, then click on the 'update now' button, then click ok and exit the windows and now try your update.

it should work as it did for me

good luck

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-20T16:26:54+00:00

    Thanks a lot!  I was searching around for ever trying to fix this, then I came to your post and that fixed my problem!!! :) 

    Nothing would download or update for me until I used the fix that mrchb suggested. 

    Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-12T19:12:53+00:00

    Thanks mrchb followed your instructions after the message" code error 80072F8F unable to download updates for Windows".

    All sorted, 13 important updates to download.

    I was beginning to think I had picked up a malware or virus problem.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-07T04:03:58+00:00

    thank u alot dude problem solved!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA finaly! so simple solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-26T17:01:58+00:00

    Thx:) worked perfect for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments