Windows 7 Windows Update Error 80072f8f

Anonymous
2009-12-29T15:41:51+00:00

When trying to perform a windows update you may receive this error.

I just wanted to post that I found the fix in that the GTW CyberTrust certificate authority is not trusted in Windows 7/Internet Explorer.

Installing this certificate authority into the trusted authorities allows windows update to continue.

I could not find any solution after searching this site, so thought a post would work.

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-08T15:52:20+00:00

I had the same problem with mine, i tried the thing guitarfish suggested but that didn't work. Didn't understand how it can be becuase of the date and time, after hours of searching on the net, I managed to fix the problem myself and heres how i did it

click on your time and date (bottom right) then a windows should pop up, click on the link 'change date and time settings'. on the date and time window click on the internet time tab, click on Change settings button, then click on the 'update now' button, then click ok and exit the windows and now try your update.

it should work as it did for me

good luck

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-07T18:06:04+00:00

    Okay I've tried all the fixes, restarted my computer each time, and I still have the issue.

    I am running Windows 7 64 bit/32bit edition Home Premium. Internet Explorer 9.

    Any other ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-03T08:44:27+00:00

    A sidenote - on some configurations (domain joined machines) it might not be possible to fix it by using only IE - sometimes the certificate gets imported in the user profile hive which is no good. So, an alternative way is to use:

    1. Start -> Run -> mmc.exe
    2. Under File -> Add/Remove Snap-in select Certificates then click Add button
    3. In the wizard select Computer account, Next, Local computer, Finish
    4. OK
    5. Then under Certificates (Local Computer) - Trusted Root Certification Auhtorities - Certificates check if the GTE certificate is there
    6. If not, right click the Trusted Root Certification Auhtorities key then select All Tasks - Import
    7. Import the extracted certificate

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-09T08:43:14+00:00

    I've just had this error occur on Windows 7 Ultimate and found an easier solution.

    You can export the GTE certificate from the malfunctioning PC and import it on the same machine. As it overwrights the existing certificate it (kind of) resets the certificate.

    After that I just run Windows Update then updated Internet Time and all is functioning 100%

    Thaks guitarfish for the information :)

    OS


    If anyone is helpful, please click the 'Vote as helpful' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-21T23:10:08+00:00

    Hi, sorry but I don't have an idea of whats wrong. I haven't encounter the problem myself but when you update the date and time was you connected to the internet?....and what server did you select?....i used the time.windows.com and it worked for me. If you did used that server and it didn't work maybe you should try a different server.

    sorry if I wasn't much help but please let me know how you get on, I will do a little research myself to find any possible answers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments