What does "USB selective suspend" mean?

Anonymous
2010-10-14T06:39:16+00:00

In Windows 7, Power Options->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting, what does "USB selective suspend" mean?  Also, given that there is only one setting, why does it say "USB Settings" instead of "USB Setting"?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T03:53:10+00:00

A USB device driver can send a message to windows telling it to idle the device.  This puts the device in a low-power state (the suspend state).  When a USB device is suspended, windows does not wait for it to respond before entering a sleep or hibernate mode.  If you disable this feature, the system will simply return a failure to the driver when the driver attempts to enter suspend state.  If the driver complies with Microsoft guidelines, it will simply retry the idle request at every expiration of its idle timer.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T15:44:30+00:00

    Aaand the top google result is this page. Bet you feel like a dumbass.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-17T22:34:02+00:00

    I just thought I would say that I found this page through google. Thank you for the answers. same here, good thing some people like @_Kelter actually reply with some solid answer instead of **** this @RTR! dude put here. If you dont know the answer just dont waste peoples time with cocky reply!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-07T07:48:18+00:00

    +1 re @_Kelter and others who are helpful.  But the "@RTR, you're a d...A$$!"..."Google brings you here!!" posts are a bit stale now...going on a cpl years...really?!?  You guys yell at TV screens and blame the tree for bumping into it?  Single file line, children..let's move forward...

    The simple rule if you suspect USB suspend is locking your device?... "disable to enable; enable to disable"  Enabling the USB suspend feature may lock the device if it's driver cannot transition gracefully to a full power state when signalled by the host system. (enable to disable)  Disabling suspend has the opposite effect since the port never suspends in the first place.  (disable to enable)

    It's helped me save a lot of time and trouble with all of the USB devices almost everyone has now.  I hope it helps you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-15T07:24:46+00:00

    Hi,

    I am using a DLink DWA-643 Express Card WiFi Adapter in my laptop. Win 7 64-bit can detect the

    hardware and installed the driver.

    But after restart my syste, it cannot detect the adapter. I need to unplug and plug in the adapter again and scan for hardware changes.

    everytime i restart, the adapter is not detected automatically. I need to unplug and plug in again.

    Kindly advice.

    Hi there,

    I wonder if there has been any solution/advice with this. I seem to be grappling with the same problem.

    Any guidance would be appreciated / Thanks

    If your web searches are unsuccesful, I would recommend, contacting the manufacturer or Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments