A USB device driver can send a message to windows telling it to idle the device. This puts the device in a low-power state (the suspend state). When a USB device is suspended, windows does not wait for it to respond before entering a sleep or hibernate mode. If you disable this feature, the system will simply return a failure to the driver when the driver attempts to enter suspend state. If the driver complies with Microsoft guidelines, it will simply retry the idle request at every expiration of its idle timer.
What does "USB selective suspend" mean?
In Windows 7, Power Options->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting, what does "USB selective suspend" mean? Also, given that there is only one setting, why does it say "USB Settings" instead of "USB Setting"?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-01-17T22:34:02+00:00 I just thought I would say that I found this page through google. Thank you for the answers. same here, good thing some people like @_Kelter actually reply with some solid answer instead of **** this @RTR! dude put here. If you dont know the answer just dont waste peoples time with cocky reply!
-
Anonymous
2013-11-19T15:44:30+00:00 Aaand the top google result is this page. Bet you feel like a dumbass.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2013-07-02T13:49:46+00:00 Having the same problem (wireless mouse and keyboard set freezing) with a new Windows 7 desktop. Trouble is, it has only happened twice in the month since I got the new box, even though I regularly walk away from my computer leaving it to go to sleep. I've tried disabling 'selective suspend' in the hope that this will fix the problem....