A USB device driver can send a message to windows telling it to idle the device. This puts the device in a low-power state (the suspend state). When a USB device is suspended, windows does not wait for it to respond before entering a sleep or hibernate mode. If you disable this feature, the system will simply return a failure to the driver when the driver attempts to enter suspend state. If the driver complies with Microsoft guidelines, it will simply retry the idle request at every expiration of its idle timer.
What does "USB selective suspend" mean?
In Windows 7, Power Options->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting, what does "USB selective suspend" mean? Also, given that there is only one setting, why does it say "USB Settings" instead of "USB Setting"?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2015-11-05T02:22:36+00:00 Your answer is so confusing !
-
Anonymous
2015-09-04T18:09:27+00:00 From what I have found, the idea was to save power on laptops. I am having a "freeze-up" (mouse) on a desktop !! So, I disabled it...... and will see...... mouse had become frozen on a number of times; so remembered a setting in the advanced power options menu...... guess will have to wait and see what
occurs next ..... also on hard drive and the sleep after mode, i typed in never !!! That will be the next
**** to deal with !!
Hope All find their answers.....
-
Anonymous
2014-12-21T04:38:16+00:00 Hi,
I am using a DLink DWA-643 Express Card WiFi Adapter in my laptop. Win 7 64-bit can detect the
hardware and installed the driver.
But after restart my syste, it cannot detect the adapter. I need to unplug and plug in the adapter again and scan for hardware changes.
everytime i restart, the adapter is not detected automatically. I need to unplug and plug in again.
Kindly advice.
you might be having a "Plug and Play Devices" system service problem. i would check to see that the service is enabled and set to Automatic.
-
Anonymous
2014-11-04T19:18:27+00:00 We are having some issues with usb headphones that stop working during some online assessments and instruction with students.
We have two different types of headphones (Egghead USB Multimedia Headset and Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000) and two browsers (Chrome and IE11), that both have issues.
Unplugging them and replugging them when they stop creating sound from the website fixes the issue (not sound from windows however as i can hear the ding when I try to adjust the sound level on the speaker in the systray). This is not practical as happens fairly frequently to a lab of 36 computers.
We have also looked into start-control panel-hardware & sound-power options-change plan settings-change advanced plan settings-usb settings-usb selective suspend settings-change to disabled. Not sure if this is helping yet.
We have a gigabit network and a 500/500 FiOS line
I have double checked the firewall settings.
Any other ideas?