A USB device driver can send a message to windows telling it to idle the device. This puts the device in a low-power state (the suspend state). When a USB device is suspended, windows does not wait for it to respond before entering a sleep or hibernate mode. If you disable this feature, the system will simply return a failure to the driver when the driver attempts to enter suspend state. If the driver complies with Microsoft guidelines, it will simply retry the idle request at every expiration of its idle timer.
What does "USB selective suspend" mean?
In Windows 7, Power Options->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting, what does "USB selective suspend" mean? Also, given that there is only one setting, why does it say "USB Settings" instead of "USB Setting"?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-07-19T18:52:31+00:00 "Google is your friend"?
Why didn't YOU Google it and return the results/answer to this thread?
It would of saved me typing this! LOL
This thread is old but I installed a Microsoft 200 Keyboard and had random on/off issues
Yaqub K
Microsoft Support Engineer
Replied with this
- Press Windows Key + X.
- Select Power Options.
- Next to your currently selected plan, click Change Plan Settings.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- Click the box to expand USB Settings, then expand USB selective suspend settings.
- Click the drop down menu and select disabled.
Had since swap the 200 KB out but am going to swap it back to see if this works
-
Anonymous
2014-05-22T06:16:49+00:00 I just thought I would say that I found this page through google. Thank you for the answers.
2014 and still found this on Google! Thanks for the answers! :D
-
Anonymous
2014-04-28T16:35:20+00:00 HAHA..No kidding! I was thinking the same thing! Obviously he had NO idea what the answer was...And what makes it even more funny is that Google is a SEARCH ENGINE,so all it does is give you links to sites with the answer,and doesn't actually answer anything.You would think it not having a forum would be a big hint! Lmao...
-
Anonymous
2014-03-15T07:24:46+00:00 Hi,
I am using a DLink DWA-643 Express Card WiFi Adapter in my laptop. Win 7 64-bit can detect the
hardware and installed the driver.
But after restart my syste, it cannot detect the adapter. I need to unplug and plug in the adapter again and scan for hardware changes.
everytime i restart, the adapter is not detected automatically. I need to unplug and plug in again.
Kindly advice.
Hi there,
I wonder if there has been any solution/advice with this. I seem to be grappling with the same problem.
Any guidance would be appreciated / Thanks
If your web searches are unsuccesful, I would recommend, contacting the manufacturer or Microsoft.