Cursor jumps while typing in Windows7

Anonymous
2010-06-15T21:52:03+00:00

fix

cursor jumps while typing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-16T15:05:44+00:00

Hi,

1. Does it happen with all the applications?

2. What is the type of mouse you are using? Is it wired or wireless?

3. Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

  1. What is the make and model number of the mouse?

Method 1:

I would suggest that you check if the mouse settings are correct.

  1. OpenMouse by clicking theStart button, clickingControl Panel, clickingHardware, and then clickingMouse .
  2. Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do any of the following:

Change mouse settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-mouse-settings

Method 2:

If this doesn’t help, then try booting the computer in safe mode and check if the same issue occurs, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 3:

If it works fine in safe mode, then try performing clean boot and check if it helps, here is the link:

You can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. This article describes how to troubleshoot problems in Windows 7 by performing a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Make sure that you put back the computer to normal startup mode once it is done.

Method 4:

If you are using touchpad, try reducing the Touch Pad sensitivity and check if it helps.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and, if you have any feed backs you can post here.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T03:36:08+00:00

    DEFINITELY double check the touchpad (Method 4 from Azam K's response).  I eventually turned my pad OFF and got a mouse because if you hit it with your wrists or inadvertently slide the bottom part of your palm across it, it WILL jump ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T04:33:13+00:00

    Just wanted to emphasize that this is not simply a problem with the touchpad being too sensitive.  The cursor doesn't just jump to some random place.  It jumps to wherever the cursor is blinking on the page and whatever you're typing suddenly starts showing up at that spot.  My IT guy was convinced it was a touchpad issue until I demonstrated the problem by using a pencil to type so that my hands were well clear of the touchpad.  Once he saw the cursor jump with my hands nowhere near the touchpad, he agreed it was some other issue that MS just doesn't want to address.  As usual.

    I tried downloading that Synaptics driver but it appears my touchpad isn't Synaptics so I'm going to download the TouchFreeze and hope that works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-18T13:08:29+00:00

    Hey there, please e-mail me ******@att.net 

    My touch pad is messing up alot! It will jump  everywhere, then my cursor will start moving itself and highlight my text and delete it by itself without me even touching the pad.  Its getting on my nerves because I just bought this ACER laptop.  Any way to fix this??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-13T17:19:18+00:00

    After a month of losing my mind, I think I finally fixed it.  And my motivation was calling Sony and learning they want to charge me $99 for something they caused after a software update.  The shamelessness was appalling.

    I have a Sony Vaio PC, so I opened the Vaio Control Center from the Control Manager and selected the touch function settings under display.  I then clicked off Enable Touch Panel option.

    I will remember this one Sony, you can be sure of that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments