Cursor jumps while typing in Windows7

Anonymous
2010-06-15T21:52:03+00:00

fix

cursor jumps while typing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-16T15:05:44+00:00

Hi,

1. Does it happen with all the applications?

2. What is the type of mouse you are using? Is it wired or wireless?

3. Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

  1. What is the make and model number of the mouse?

Method 1:

I would suggest that you check if the mouse settings are correct.

  1. OpenMouse by clicking theStart button, clickingControl Panel, clickingHardware, and then clickingMouse .
  2. Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do any of the following:

Change mouse settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-mouse-settings

Method 2:

If this doesn’t help, then try booting the computer in safe mode and check if the same issue occurs, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 3:

If it works fine in safe mode, then try performing clean boot and check if it helps, here is the link:

You can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. This article describes how to troubleshoot problems in Windows 7 by performing a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Make sure that you put back the computer to normal startup mode once it is done.

Method 4:

If you are using touchpad, try reducing the Touch Pad sensitivity and check if it helps.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and, if you have any feed backs you can post here.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-17T00:52:48+00:00

    I hope another charger works for you.  Maybe you can try out a friend's with a similar computer.   I got my new one...Dell, and my new charger, also Dell, and my computer is fine now. After all the problems I have had with this issue, and all the fixes I have tried, and then my experience with Dell downloading a new driver that worked, as well as my being able to fix this problem with a system restore, I believe this is a software issue.  It could be a virus or it could be a defect in the Microsoft program, I am not sure.  If the new charger does not work for you, I suggest you back up your files and revert you computer to factory conditions.  I think it is likely too late for you to do a system restore to an earlier date, as a good date likely has passed.  If you get this fixed, however, be sure to do a system restore to when all was working OK as soon as it happens.  I know how very frustrating this is and I wish you luck.  You would think Microsoft would have eliminated this problem by now, or Dell or whoever.

    I recommend trying the Geek squad if you need help. I am sure some other local business might be good as well.   They are immensely more helpful and knowledgeable than Dell, and cheaper, too and certainly will not take as much time...you will not need to go through all the layers of support techs. A while back, the Gee Squad had a program under which you could pay $125 for a year of service, not sure if it is still on and I do not think it included parts.  I was prepared to pay it, and then they did not even charge me!

    Let everyone know if you find something that works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-21T23:47:00+00:00

    I haven't forgotten this topic. Rather, I've been trying out all kinds of things! I think it's likely that we don't all have the exact same problem going on, even though we all have a jumping cursor.

    I'm fairly sure that for me, the issue has nothing to do with accidentally brushing the touchpad. Even with palm rejection turned off and touch sensitivity set to maximum, I can rub my finger and palm around a good deal on the touchpad without causing the text insertion cursor (the thin vertical blinking line) to move. The power supply also seems to have no effect on the issue (for me). I tried my laptop with just the adapter, just the battery, with both, as well as connecting the laptop to different outlets and plugging it in in different rooms. The text insertion cursor would still disappear, typing would cease to register, and sometimes the typing would appear again unpredictably at some later time. 

    I did finally make some progress, today, which I wanted to share. I noticed that in Internet Explorer 11, the text insertion cursor kept disappearing from the Google search box on https://www.google.com , which I use as my home page. The search box would become inactive, with its blue outline changing to grey. It seemed as though something was moving the focus away from the search box. This would happen predictably six seconds after opening the page, even if I didn't touch anything on the page. I managed to fix the problem by disabling my two HP Smart Print add-ons in IE! While reading, I noticed that various people on the Internet have found other browser add-ons that have given them the exact same problem. If you do some reading, you'll come across the add-ons they mentioned - or you can write back to me and I'll tell you a few. You can disable all add-ons, including toolbars, to see whether the issue disappears on your computer. If it does, and if you have sufficient patience, you can then re-enable the add-ons, one at a time, to find out which one is causing the problem.

    I'm not sure I've fixed everything on my computer. Time will tell. There's some hope that my jumping cursor problem may have been solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-24T12:22:11+00:00

    This suddenly happened to me also around six weeks ago - using a Packhard Bell EasiNote TS Laptop with Windows 7.  Usually some minutes after starting to type in Word (but all programmes affected - including Flickr) - and when typing fast (around 45 years ago HM Government taught me to touch type). After reading the many solutions on here tried to modify the settings for touchpad but the software only referred to 'mouse'.  checked status of Driver - message said up to date.  Downloaded driver from P-B's website (two versions on offer so downloaded both) and installed.  Now the Driver Menu had section for Touchpad!  Reduced the sensitivity of 'tapping' and it looks like that has solved to problem.  I would just say that I am not very computer literate so if I can do it sure most people can.  Thanks to everybody who gave me the pointers to fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-27T18:17:06+00:00

    I have a Toshiba M780 Windows 7 64 bit.  I think I have tried every recommendation on every forum to get the cursor to stop the jumping around. It was so bad that on a recent holiday, I couldn't get my name and room number input so I could sign on to the hotel wifi.

    I finally uninstalled ALPS driver. I had previously set MSCONFIG so it didn't load but that didn't seem to help.

    So far so good, it doesn't seem to jump any more. I am not sure what the driver did. I use a Logitech USB Mouse and it still works fine. I cannot discern any difference in the opertion of the touch pad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments