Cursor jumps while typing in Windows7

Anonymous
2010-06-15T21:52:03+00:00

fix

cursor jumps while typing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-16T15:05:44+00:00

Hi,

1. Does it happen with all the applications?

2. What is the type of mouse you are using? Is it wired or wireless?

3. Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

  1. What is the make and model number of the mouse?

Method 1:

I would suggest that you check if the mouse settings are correct.

  1. OpenMouse by clicking theStart button, clickingControl Panel, clickingHardware, and then clickingMouse .
  2. Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do any of the following:

Change mouse settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-mouse-settings

Method 2:

If this doesn’t help, then try booting the computer in safe mode and check if the same issue occurs, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 3:

If it works fine in safe mode, then try performing clean boot and check if it helps, here is the link:

You can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. This article describes how to troubleshoot problems in Windows 7 by performing a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Make sure that you put back the computer to normal startup mode once it is done.

Method 4:

If you are using touchpad, try reducing the Touch Pad sensitivity and check if it helps.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and, if you have any feed backs you can post here.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T04:49:25+00:00

    I am sorry, I had a Dell Tech and he downloaded the new driver, so I do not know which one it was.  I since have had the problem on occasion but did system restores to earlier times and that has fixed the problem each time.  I since have had my transformer cable go and had the problem again, except much worse.  The battery would not charge and the cursor would hardly move using the touchpad (did work with a USB mouse)  and it was nearly impossible to control it's location after I bought a generic replacement.  I took it to the Geek squad and they very nicely told me that the transformer was too high voltage and was affecting the mouse.  I tried another generic cable I purchased from BB and it worked fine except my battery would not charge.  I am currently waiting for a new Dell cable and hope that works.  I also have an old Dell and the cable went on that.  I tried replacing the cable, and then the battery, separately, and no luck.  then my husband ordered compatable, same brand cable and battery and that computer worked again and is still working.  It has Vista so you know how old it is.  I am planning to buy a Mac next!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-09T18:44:06+00:00

    Foreverfleurs, do you happen to know what the old and new driver were called?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-03T16:36:29+00:00

    TouchFreeze solved my problem with a jumping cursor with my Win 7 x64 laptop.  THANKS for the advice!!!!   Toby

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-29T04:11:47+00:00

    I agree.  I believe windows should pay for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments