Cursor jumps while typing in Windows7

Anonymous
2010-06-15T21:52:03+00:00

fix

cursor jumps while typing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-16T15:05:44+00:00

Hi,

1. Does it happen with all the applications?

2. What is the type of mouse you are using? Is it wired or wireless?

3. Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

  1. What is the make and model number of the mouse?

Method 1:

I would suggest that you check if the mouse settings are correct.

  1. OpenMouse by clicking theStart button, clickingControl Panel, clickingHardware, and then clickingMouse .
  2. Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do any of the following:

Change mouse settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-mouse-settings

Method 2:

If this doesn’t help, then try booting the computer in safe mode and check if the same issue occurs, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 3:

If it works fine in safe mode, then try performing clean boot and check if it helps, here is the link:

You can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. This article describes how to troubleshoot problems in Windows 7 by performing a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Make sure that you put back the computer to normal startup mode once it is done.

Method 4:

If you are using touchpad, try reducing the Touch Pad sensitivity and check if it helps.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and, if you have any feed backs you can post here.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-21T16:13:19+00:00

    Hmmm, it doesn't happen with me this way [i.e., jumping to previous instance of specific letter] but it is definitely not the mouse pointer (I've adjusted it many times). Someone else on this forum pin-pointed the problem to a specific Windows Update in 2/2009 (he did DAYS' worth of work on this). I have this problem & am using Office 2007, by the way. NOTE: if I plug in an external keyboard, it doesn't happen. I'm on Win7. I'm waiting to hear back from my sister, who is either on Win7 or XP. Seems there's only ONE mfr whose computers don't do this: Apple!

    Listen up, Microsoft; send out an Update fix or I'm getting a Mac next time! (My sister just got a Mac after struggling with this issue with no help from MS for several years.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-16T12:48:54+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-08T01:24:08+00:00

    cool thread i got my answer thanks for this answers im from showbox for iphone recently set up mu www.gmail.com profile,, bye everyone

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-27T18:17:06+00:00

    I have a Toshiba M780 Windows 7 64 bit.  I think I have tried every recommendation on every forum to get the cursor to stop the jumping around. It was so bad that on a recent holiday, I couldn't get my name and room number input so I could sign on to the hotel wifi.

    I finally uninstalled ALPS driver. I had previously set MSCONFIG so it didn't load but that didn't seem to help.

    So far so good, it doesn't seem to jump any more. I am not sure what the driver did. I use a Logitech USB Mouse and it still works fine. I cannot discern any difference in the opertion of the touch pad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments