Cursor jumps while typing in Windows7

Anonymous
2010-06-15T21:52:03+00:00

fix

cursor jumps while typing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-16T15:05:44+00:00

Hi,

1. Does it happen with all the applications?

2. What is the type of mouse you are using? Is it wired or wireless?

3. Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

  1. What is the make and model number of the mouse?

Method 1:

I would suggest that you check if the mouse settings are correct.

  1. OpenMouse by clicking theStart button, clickingControl Panel, clickingHardware, and then clickingMouse .
  2. Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do any of the following:

Change mouse settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-mouse-settings

Method 2:

If this doesn’t help, then try booting the computer in safe mode and check if the same issue occurs, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 3:

If it works fine in safe mode, then try performing clean boot and check if it helps, here is the link:

You can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. This article describes how to troubleshoot problems in Windows 7 by performing a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Make sure that you put back the computer to normal startup mode once it is done.

Method 4:

If you are using touchpad, try reducing the Touch Pad sensitivity and check if it helps.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and, if you have any feed backs you can post here.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-06T05:15:52+00:00

    I have a Lenovo and a Gateway laptop that both do the same thing.  One started on Windows 7 but they now both run Windows 8.  A previous laptop with Vista also used to do it.  Just to prove to my IT guy that it wasn't "user error" I typed something using a pencil with my hands nowhere near the pad and the typing still jumped to the cursor.  My brother's entire office had the same problem with their new laptops so their IT guy installed a patch which he then forwarded to me.  It's for Synaptics touchpads but, unfortunately, neither of my laptops uses that particular touchpad.  I can disengage the touchpad using the F6 function and that works fine.  Just a little cumbersome having to always disengage, engage, disengage, etc. but if I'm doing a lot of word processing, it's fine.  I may go ahead and download the touchfreeze app as well.  I like to avoid downloading additional stuff on my computer just to make it work right if I don't have to but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has had a good experience with the touchfreeze app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-05T13:16:49+00:00

    Hi there, it looks like you provided the link to the patch, but there is no link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-30T22:06:07+00:00

    Well, I have a Dell Studio, which is Synaptics touch pad, BUT, when you said that, it reminded me that the touch pad driver never did install after a reimage of the laptop a few months ago AND my husband's laptop (Dell Inspiron) was doing the same thing and he also reimaged recently.  So, I installed the Synaptics driver (because I couldn't find it on Dell's support site) and it seems better for the moment (but I just did it today).

    However, since you said that, I found TouchFreezementioned in this article, which is Google's "fix" to what you're saying (freezes the touch pad while typing), so if the driver install doesn't work, then I'll try TouchFreeze.

    Both our laptops are Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-30T20:46:55+00:00

    Finally fixed problem. We can let microsoft and alps argue till the end of time but to summarise what I have read here and elsewhere, since Windows Vista there has been a problem between Windows and Alps mouse pointer, so this affects lots of portables. Some people also report it for desktops but if so it will be a similar conflict with the mouse pointer. I only found a solution for Alps pointer. What is happening is that during keyboard use, the software thinks you are using the touchpad and so does whatever it thinks you are telling it which is either insert (if it is somewhere else in text) or activate (if it is on a button or link). The issue is windows keyboard versus alps touchpad and the different applications people report are just whatever the individual uses the keyboard in hfor any amount of fast typing.

    And the soluiton?

    When looking for updated drivers for my Sony Vaio I found an alps touchpad patch. This is not the full driver but a driver update that turns the touchpad off whenever keys are pressed on the keyboard and switches it back on if there is no key operation for a second. I installed this and have had no problems since. Afraid I dont have the link but it is this patch you need. I believe it was from Sony Asia.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments