Fixing wireless "hidden network" problem on Windows 7

Anonymous
2009-12-02T05:09:46+00:00

I've read a post by a previous user who seemed to be having a similar problem as me, but the response he received didn't help solve the problem and I suspect this to be a genuine bug in Windows 7, but that remains to be seen.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/0d9e680f-8025-4863-9242-f990c64ea8bd <- a link to the aforementioned thread.

Connecting to  my wireless network (which has been online for years and served dozens of machines no problem), yesterday I attempted to connect running Windows 7 and received the following error message in my troubleshooting dialog: "Windows can't connect to the hidden network."

More specifically: "This network is marked as a "hidden" network and is either not in range of this computer or the wireless settings saved on this computer do not match the settings of the network."

My network is not hidden, SSID broadcasting is on, I am using a valid key and the network has full strength from my wireless connection utility. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or why it seems to be only happening on Windows 7, and only reporting that the problem is that the network is hidden?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-09T11:29:14+00:00

Do you use WEP encryption?

Maybe I will answer to your question using google results. When you get to the last page of results for

Do you see some correlation? Majority of results include information about WEP. Some of topics were never answered. Those one were the solution was found include suggestion about changing WEP encryption. 

Try to set another security type in your router's settings and use it in your network setting under Windows 7. I'm using security type: WPA2, and encryption type: AES and everything works fine.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-12-24T19:33:51+00:00

    I'm having almost the exact same problem. There is a small cafe with free wifi, but with my new computer with windows 7 I'm unable to connect. This is extremely isolated. I have experienced no problems connecting to wireless anywhere else, private or public, hotspot or friends networks. But at this one place I see many others connecting without issue. Of those connected at this hotspot, I've asked and no one is using win7. I can see the network, but am continuously given the following auto reply upon troubleshooting as to why I cannot connect; "Windows cannot connect to the hidden network SurfandSip" This is silly, its not hidden????  Its an open network that others are currently connected to!!!  An hour on the phone with Toshiba and they were unable to solve the problem, laughably suggesting that I not choose to go there! I agree that this has to be a s/w compatibility issue inherent to win7!!!!! Very frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-03T17:19:58+00:00

    Howdy... I've been struggling with these problems ever since I upgraded to Windows 7. I was doing some reading today and trying out various suggestions ... install a new driver (which I did), reset the router, etc etc... but then I started looking at my router settings too.

    I have a Netgear WGR614 v7 and use WPA2-PSK [AES] for security. On the 'Wireless Settings' page, I had this enabled - Wireless Card Access List.

    I turned it off, and was able to connect to my wireless network. Hope this helps.

    Cheers!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-03T20:50:53+00:00

    Arnie, I also have a WGR614v7 and since upgrading to Windows 7 ultimate have been unable to connect to my (or any other) wifi network consistently (at first it is possible once or twice and then drops out completely. I have tried a dozen suggestions nothing works. Generally, the error message says the network is "hidden" -- when it isn't. But I don't quite understand your fix... What "wireless settings page" are your referring to and how is it accessed? Did you download Netgear firmware? Thanks, Brian

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-04T07:57:37+00:00

    Arnie, I also have a WGR614v7 and since upgrading to Windows 7 ultimate have been unable to connect to my (or any other) wifi network consistently (at first it is possible once or twice and then drops out completely. I have tried a dozen suggestions nothing works. Generally, the error message says the network is "hidden" -- when it isn't. But I don't quite understand your fix... What "wireless settings page" are your referring to and how is it accessed? Did you download Netgear firmware? Thanks, Brian

    Hmm... you're right - would've helped if I'd added a screenshot. And yes, I did update the firmware recently. Currently, it's V2.0.30_2.0.30

    I also havent noticed any signal or connectivity drop since I connected to the network yesterday. Although, interestingly, I've also tried connecting to two other open wireless networks in the vicinity but havent been successful.

    Screenshot is here: http://img28.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=91622\_Settings\_122\_16lo.png

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments