Fixing wireless "hidden network" problem on Windows 7

Anonymous
2009-12-02T05:09:46+00:00

I've read a post by a previous user who seemed to be having a similar problem as me, but the response he received didn't help solve the problem and I suspect this to be a genuine bug in Windows 7, but that remains to be seen.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/0d9e680f-8025-4863-9242-f990c64ea8bd <- a link to the aforementioned thread.

Connecting to  my wireless network (which has been online for years and served dozens of machines no problem), yesterday I attempted to connect running Windows 7 and received the following error message in my troubleshooting dialog: "Windows can't connect to the hidden network."

More specifically: "This network is marked as a "hidden" network and is either not in range of this computer or the wireless settings saved on this computer do not match the settings of the network."

My network is not hidden, SSID broadcasting is on, I am using a valid key and the network has full strength from my wireless connection utility. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or why it seems to be only happening on Windows 7, and only reporting that the problem is that the network is hidden?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-09T11:29:14+00:00

Do you use WEP encryption?

Maybe I will answer to your question using google results. When you get to the last page of results for

Do you see some correlation? Majority of results include information about WEP. Some of topics were never answered. Those one were the solution was found include suggestion about changing WEP encryption. 

Try to set another security type in your router's settings and use it in your network setting under Windows 7. I'm using security type: WPA2, and encryption type: AES and everything works fine.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-12T08:15:22+00:00

    Hello New to site but I am having same problem with windows 7 and some vista comps as well same as post above for years my cheap Dlink router ran a few wireless clients at same time np, But I seem to see that the problem more so is with the wireless N . Either the standard working with 7 or vista ? I have no Idea Yet  But I am a Comp TIa certified A+ and Network+ Tech and am now geting flooded with work on this and yes I love the work But something Fishy is going on with vista/win 7 / Wireless N  I feel as any vista laptop or dektop with wireless B/G connects to my 30 dollar router yet I hook same comps to a WiFI and wireless 100 dollar router and cant connect ?? as for changing the wireless security , why should you have to ? If you want to run WEP Win 7/Vista/XP/ 2000/98/95 should all accept that but seems to stop at vista/7  and higher security degrades wireless network traffic and as for any new machine they all have Wireless N  Hmmm. any info on this though I am glad to hear I am Doin some Tests tonight finally have a boxed win 7 comp to totally have some fun seeing waht i can make go wrong hehe Thanks for reading

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-09T14:39:55+00:00

    I have a different router (a 2Wire), but my solution was found in the same place, the wireless settings page. To find this, you need to pull up your network/broadband page. It will probably only work on another computer in your house. It may be different for you since you have a different router but to get to mine I just opened up the internet browser, and in the address bar I typed "Homeportal".  This brought up the broadband/network page for my modem/router & my network. The wireless settings page was found on the Network page. Hope that helps. You may need to call whoever makes your router to find out how to access your settings. Sorry, I have no idea if it is different for different routers or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-09T14:25:31+00:00

    I have a Netgear WGR614 v7 and use WPA2-PSK [AES] for security. On the 'Wireless Settings' page, I had this enabled - Wireless Card Access List.

    I turned it off, and was able to connect to my wireless network. Hope this helps.

    Cheers!

    Thank you for posting this. I found my solution while I went in to my settings of the wireless network to try doing your suggestion you posted here about turning off the wireless card access list. I didn't end up turning off the access list but I see now how that would solve it too. What I ended up doing that worked was I went in to the network settings of the router, and I saw something called MAC settings. Someone else in another post said something about a MAC address, and I realized that was something I never even looked at, or the wireless settings either. So I clicked on the MAC settings button, and what I saw was a list of the other computers in my home all on the network. My laptop running Windows 7 was not on the list. I had to look up how to find the computer's MAC address (very easy!), and I used the add MAC address feature to add my laptop. Then I tried to connect on the laptop to the network... and it worked!!!!!! So that simple thing solved my 3 month long issue of not being able to get online at my house with my laptop! Such a relief!  I hope this makes sense what I did so hopefully someone else here can duplicate it and have success as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-05T00:10:26+00:00

    Gents,

    I had exactly the same problem tonight, spent 3 hours trying every possible scenario except the most obvious. In my situation I accidently reset my router and somewhere amongst all the crazyness my win7 laptop could not see it after the router restarted. My Xp laptop saw it perfectly, and I could see other Wifi networks on my Win7 machine, except mine. Crazy!!!

    Well my solution was to manually configure the wifi network, by Manage Wireless Networks > Add > Manually create a network Profile > blah blah blah. For Ecryption Type make sure you try both TKIP and AES, because once I tried that it saw it again. Now that's pretty lame, but thats the way it works. Don't want to get into the whys or hows, it just worked.

    Give it a go perhaps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments