The taskhost.exe application consumes 50-60% of the average cpu usage

Anonymous
2010-02-10T09:05:52+00:00

The taskhost.exe application(C:\Windows\System 32) consumes 50-60% of the average cpu usage even when the system is idle  and no processes are being run.

Will deleting this application make my computer unstable?

How can  i permanently stop the process ?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-11T04:26:39+00:00

Hey Abhishek,

The taskhost.exe is a Task Host which is a generic Host Process for Windows 7 32-bit Services. The full path to this file should be shown in TUT as **C:\Windows\System32\Taskhost.exe.**TASKHOST is a generic process which acts as a host for processes that run from DLLs rather than EXEs. At startup TASKHOST checks the Services portion of the Registry to construct a list of DLL-based services that it needs to load, and then loads them. There can be many instances of TASKHOST running, as there will be one instance of TASKHOST for every DLL-based service or grouping of services (the grouping of services is determined by the programmers who wrote the services in question).

Since this is an integral part of the operating system, I wouldn’t suggest you to delete it.

However, for the high CPU consumption issue, please use Performance Monitor to view performance data either in real time or from a log file.

The new Resource Monitor lets you view detailed real-time information about hardware resources (CPU, disk, network, and memory) and system resources (including handles and modules) in use by the operating system, services, and running applications. In addition, you can use Resource Monitor to stop processes, start and stop services, analyze process deadlocks, view thread wait chains, and identify processes locking files.

A closer look:

View CPU utilization and other performance information**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/View-CPU-utilization-and-other-performance-information**

See details about your computer's performance using Task Manager**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/See-details-about-your-computers-performance-using-Task-Manager**

Last but not the least, perform virus scan to remove any trace of infection on your computer. If your antivirus database is not updated, please update the same and then run the scan. If you don't have antivirus installed, you may opt to download Microsoft Security Essentials on your computer and run it.

**http://www.microsoft.com/Security\_Essentials/**

Hope this helps!


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-26T01:16:01+00:00

    I've had a similar issue on an i5 Processor with 8GB of RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I was cleaning the PC after been infected with some viruses. At the end, all the AV tools that I used, such as ComboFix, Malwarebytes, RogueKiller, Kaspersky IS and so on were showing the PC is clean. But when I open Internet Explorer, it would freeze and not responding. When you reboot, it would hang saying taskhost.exe is closing but it takes forever.

    After some digging, because cleaning the RAC database did not help in my case, here is my fix:

    1. I opened up Internet Explorer and of course it froze again. I tried resetting it but did not help. I noticed cleaning the History was taking forever and would never finish. So with the IE frozen, I opened Task Manager as well as Resource Monitor
    2. iexplorer.exe was red in the Resource Monitor. Right-clicked it and Analyze White Chain - it showed that IE is waiting on taskhost.exe
    3. Noticed in Resource Monitor, under Disk activity that taskhost.exe was having a high disk usage and trying to process:

    C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

    1. To browse that folder and see what is that file, I had to go to Folder Options | View | and un-hide Protected operating system files.
    2. I found the  WebCacheV01.dat  file and saw it was huge - over 5GB. In task manager, I killed taskhost.exe, deleted the file and rebooted the PC. Now IE opens lightning fast and I was able to finally run CCLeaner to clean up temp files and so on.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-02T15:38:35+00:00

    I am seeing this issue regularly on my Core i5 laptop where 1 core is pegged at 25% CPU.

    Using Process Explorer I open up the offending TaskHost to find that one thread is eating 25% of the CPU:

    RacEngn.dll!RacSysprepSpecialize+0x428f4

    Opening up this thread's stack shows that the thread appears to be stuck here:

    ntoskrnl.exe!SeAccessCheckWithHint+0xb4a

    ntoskrnl.exe!KeAcquireSpinLockAtDpcLevel+0x7d2

    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x19f

    ntoskrnl.exe!PsIsSystemProcess+0x94

    ntoskrnl.exe!KeStackAttachProcess+0x11c1

    ntoskrnl.exe!ObReferenceObjectByPointerWithTag+0x233

    RacEngn.dll+0x12230

    RacEngn.dll+0x1217d

    RacEngn.dll+0x120dd

    RacEngn.dll+0x19052

    RacEngn.dll+0x19e1b

    RacEngn.dll+0x191da

    RacEngn.dll+0x1cafb

    RacEngn.dll+0x118bc

    RacEngn.dll+0x117d3

    RacEngn.dll!RacSysprepSpecialize+0x42a52

    kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd

    ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21

    Is anyone looking into this because it's causing a major perf and battery-life issue on my (and others') machines?

    [Update: 2/2/2011 @ 12:20 PST]

    I've posted a more detailed diagnosis of this issue on my blog where I'll also crosspost any answers to this issue.

    http://www.bitcrazed.com/post/2011/02/02/Windows’-(RACENGN)-Reliability-Analysis-Calculation-Engine-eating-my-laptop!.aspx

    Rich Turner

    let's try, to cool down my chipset

    beside being here:C:\Windows\System32\Taskhost.exe.

    I find this taskhost in : WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-taskhost, both as exe and MUI

    and cannot delete them,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-28T18:14:58+00:00

    Thank you, Rich Turner.

    I hit this same issue on a friend's laptop--cleaned out the RAC stuff and it's happy now.

    There's one difference between the case I noticed and what others are reporting on here, though--in my case it was almost exactly 25% of the CPU power, split across all 4 cores.

    In other words, whatever it is that goes wrong it saturates one core, the load being distributed by the task scheduler rather than showing up all on one core.  The people reporting 50% almost certainly have only two cores.

    BTW, your links are dead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-06T02:55:45+00:00

    http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/44709-windows-host-process-rundll32-high-cpu-usage.html

    OS: Window 8.1, but likely applies to v8 and v10, probably 7 too.

    Software: Office 2013 or 2016

    Symptom: “Host Process for Windows Tasks” using high CPU, fan spinning, draining battery

    Root Cause: Participating in Windows and/or Office Experince program(s) creates a scheduled task that doesn’t terminate itsel.

    1. Disable the Customer Experince Improvement Program (CEIP) in Windows
      1. WIN7-81: Search from start menu or navigate to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Change Action Center settings
    2. Disable CEIP in office::
      1. Any office app/File (backstage)/Options?TrustCenter/Privacy Options/Uncheck the “Send personal info to MS….”
    3. Change termination of App Experience Program Data Updater
      1. On windows 8.1 go to Charms -> Search. Enter "Schedule tasks"
      2. In the Task Scheduler window in the left hand pane expand "Task Scheduler Library" and go to Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience
      3. There should be 4 entries. The offender that causes the high CPU usage is "ProgramDataUpdater". You could disable it as some have recommended, however I opted to configure the task to kill it self if it runs for more than 1 minute:
        1. Right click on "ProgramDataUpdater" and go to properties
        2. Go to the Settings tab. Ensure that the box next to "Stop the task if it runs longer than." is ticked (checked).
        3. In the drop down selection box, simply type in "1 minute" (or other time limit). Then click OK.
      4. Reboot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments