When are you going to fix the overheating Microsoft Wireless Mouse Nano receiver?

Anonymous
2010-03-06T08:15:47+00:00

I bought a Microsoft wireless mouse 4000 a month ago. Yesterday it's receiver died on me. I suspect short circuit. After some research, I've realized that I was not alone with this problem, it could be a serial fault.

Once the question appeared on the forum before (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/727a8f10-4aaf-4f1e-bea1-3a73f7e62cf9) but the issue was quickly dismissed.

I bought the thing whole on a trip in Europe and can't have it replaced. Thus the question is, whether to trust Microsoft for the second time and buy the same mouse again, or opt for something else? I need a mouse that works on rough surfaces. But as of now, I may need to overcome my liking for the device and opt for Logitech's Anywhere, unless you reassure me that you will have the transceiver replaced soon.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-04T01:38:24+00:00

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000

Microsoft Replacement phone#: 800-933-4750.  Product ID = D5D-00001.  Have your 4000 mouse handy when you call them.  They will need the Product ID (PID) from the bottom.

They will replace yours for free .  Replacements carry a 3 yr warranty.  You must keep the PID of the original mouse for the replacement warranty.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

53 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-01T03:42:06+00:00

    I have had two nano dongles burn up on me in the last three weeks.  The first one worked for about a month.  The second one about 3 weeks.  Why is this happening?  I understand that some of you have not had this problem, but that does not mean it is not a problem.  Is it the dongle or my new laptop?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-24T15:32:22+00:00

    Some external USB hubs have been known to run USB devices to the point where they can melt. I run an MS keyboard dongle on the back panel of my desktop PC and it has NEVER run hot.. 


    Mike Hall MVP - Windows Desktop Experience http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-24T14:36:44+00:00

    It should be noted that most USB device connection to USB port will get hot.  USB specs indicate that USB is provide power over the port.  There seems to be only one method of limiting the receiver of over heating:  Use a USB "extension" cable.  The USB extension cable USB A plug should be the plug that will head up, thus "saving" your receiver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-24T11:24:31+00:00

    My mouse worked about one month. Now transceiver is very hot and partially melted.

    I am dissapointed with a terrible quality of the product. This mouse is dangerous!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments