No background music in Age of Empires II Collectors Edition.

Anonymous
2009-08-25T15:24:11+00:00

There is no background music in AoE II and AoE II Expansion.

I have tried just about anything and have looked through the internet for persons with the same problem.

Apparently the problem is somewhat common for the collectors edition, since the background music for AoE II stays on the cd, after installation, for streaming while the game is playing.

I have tried some different things, but none were succesful.

Yes, i have turned up the computer volume and it has nothing to do with a not-existing "Music On/Off" button.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-03T20:44:07+00:00

I believe my friend has the collectors edition and it play music just fine. I think the problem is that either the user is using a No-CD patch that does not support in-game music, his audio settings are wrong for disk-to-game streaming, or that perhaps he may have a download version of the game that had the music stripped out to conserve disk space.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-28T20:39:38+00:00

This may help for future reference. If the DVD media does not contain the files to begin with, then you are out of luck. If it does, it is probably compressed in a archive format, similar to what Activision does with their game development.Tthere may be a compatibility problem with CD/DVD drives and this game. Originally, If I am not mistaken, an audio cable was required to be plugged into the user's sound card and CD/DVD drive to transmit data to the audio chipset. Newer drives do not use the technology.

You could give this a shot:

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

Click the + (plus sign) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click your CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.

Click to check the Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device check box, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close the Device Manager window.

ALSO! Take a look at this:

http://sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?p=100456

It would be odd if the collectors edition was missing the OST and then the original edition had it.

Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-10T05:30:58+00:00

    I know this is old but I'll give an answer that should help.

    1.Download the age of empires 2 demo.

    2.Install then locate C:Programs Files/age of empires trial/Sound/midi folder.

    3.Convert midi songs to mp3 with a midi-to-mp3 converter.

    4.Burn to cd.

    5.Launch the game with cd in DVD/CD Drive.

    The music should play when you start a game!

    I found it by accident when I left a cd of music in my dvd drive

    it started playing and I was like where this music coming from cause I didn't have any media player open. lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-09T23:04:35+00:00

    Hi, it doesn't work, do I just add it on to the end of the target, even thought the end has quotes already? Do I have to add anything else to the target along with "-midimusic"? And does the location of the shortcut matter?

    Please help, this seems to be the simplest solution to fixing the music....

    Luke

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-27T02:09:33+00:00

    Thanks so much for posting this, it's the only solution that actually worked for me! :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments