i need to index pdf files in my laptop running windows 7

Anonymous
2009-10-19T13:26:29+00:00

original title: Indexing pdf files in Windows 7

i need to index pdf files in my laptop running windows 7.I first installed adobe ifilter and then foxit ifilter.Both doesnt provide me goos search results.I mean they are not indexing my content as windows does for my MS Office files.


tech trends

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-04T01:34:30+00:00

Ok I think I got it working. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I uninstalled Adobe Ifilter 5.0 that I installed earlier. I uninstalled Foxit PDF ifliter ver.1 .0.0.32??.  I did this:

1.   Open Indexing Options by clicking theStart button, and then clickingControl Panel. In the search box, typeindexing options, and then clickIndexing Options.

2.   ClickAdvanced. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.   In theAdvanced Options dialog box, click the File Types tab.

4.   Uncheck the boxes beside PDF and PDFXML.

  1. Check the Index Encrypted files on the Index  Settings tab.
  2.  Click OK. Rebuild the index.
  3. Download the Adobe 64 bit Ifilter from herehttp://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4025 .
  4. After indexing is complete. Install the new 64 bit Ifilter. 

9.  Repeat steps 1, 2, & 3 but this time check on the PDF and PDFXML boxes and on the box next to Index properties and content.

10. Rebuild the index again.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-20T03:50:43+00:00

Hi pradeepviswav,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft windows vista forums!

Follow the steps below to add pdf files to the index so you can search in Windows by that file type.

1.    Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

2.    Click Advanced.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.    In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the File Types tab.

4.    In the Add new extension to list box, type the file name extension (for example, "pdf"), and then click Add.

5.    Click Index Properties Only or Index Properties and File Contents, and then click OK.

For more information on indexing, navigate to the following link

Indexing options

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-advanced-indexing-options

Important: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-17T13:49:55+00:00

(DO NOT INDEX ENCRYPTION. THIS METHOD WORKS FOR WIN 7 64 BIT)   

Just as an update. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. I had the same problems at first then did the following which fixed it. Under no circumstance enable indexing of encryption. (Indexing Encryption will allow anyone who uses your computer to get passwords and personal information. Plus it can screw up the OS!)

  1. Go to Indexing > Advanced > File Types, and remove the check for PDF. Press OK > Press Close
  2. Uninstall any Ifilters that you have relating to searching PDF Files
  3. Unless you have Adobe Reader 9.3 or higher, uninstall it.
  4. Go to Adobe.com and install Adobe Reader 9.3 or Higher if not already installed.
  5. Download and install Ifilter 9 from Adobe (Win 7 64 bit only)  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4025
  6. Go back to Indexing > Advanced > File Types, and re-check PDF.  The Press the 'Index Settings Tab' (THEN WAIT)
  7. Try and keep all your PDF files in one folder.
  8. Search for a PDF in the Windows search box (top right). You should see a message prompt near the top of the screen telling you that indexing is turned off, then asks you if you want to turn it on. Click the message and click to enable indexing.
  9. Go back to Indexing, and click Rebuild (The rebuilding will take hours and will not work untill it is done!)

If you did as I said above, you will be able to click on a start button and search for PDF files, and the contents inside them, including ones that you may have used OCR.

Good luck. I feel happy now that I can use my $600 Fujitsu Scanner that I picked up at Goowill for $8.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-26T21:31:27+00:00

    My problem was solved by crossing the index encryped data option (am using truecrypt). strangely it made a problem only with pdf file content, not with others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-26T01:20:36+00:00

    My experience has been the same as the rest of the replies.  It didn't work.  And why isn't it set up to work automatically?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments