Thanks for your replies, but NOPE!
I took a break from this problem to work on my 9-year old laptop. When's the last time you scratch loaded Win98?
I re-read Aricsdaddy's & pd_monkey's posts and tried it again. When I first started playing around with pdf ifilters over a month ago, I had Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard version 8.2.4 installed. It is what shipped with my ScanSnap S510 that I bought about
1-1/2 years ago. At some point, I read that for Win7 x64, I needed Adobe Reader 9, so I installed version 9.3.4. Then I read, NO, don't install different versions at the same time. AARRGGHH!
So, on Sept 10, I uninstalled both versions and only put back Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard version 8.2.4. That is how I am set up now. Here are the steps I took today. Maybe someone can see either something I did wrong or find a step I missed.
- Installed the Adobe ifilter - PDFFilter64installer.msi
- Opened Indexing Options-->Advanced-->File Types and checked the pdf and pdfxml boxes (next to the pdf file type, it does say "PDF Filter")
- Under, "How should this file be indexed?" I made sure "Index Properties and File Contents" was selected.
- Opened System Properties-->Environment Variables and edited the Path Variable so it now contains - %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software;C:\Program
Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Lenovo;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Ulead Systems\MPEG;C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Access
Connections;C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms\bin
- Rebooted
- Opened Indexing Options-->Advanced and clicked on the "Rebuild" button at which point it started indexing.
It indexed 39,705 files in about 30 minutes - not a good sign, too quick. Of those, 4,365 are pdf files. My pdf files are a mix of documents downloaded from company websites (like monthly statements), scanned and OCR'ed with my ScanSnap S510; scanned with
an HP AIO and OCR'ed with the HP software; scanned on an HP AIO using Acrobat 8 Standard and OCR'ed with Acrobat 8 Standard.
I tried a test. There are at least 28 pdf files, downloaded from 2 different financial websites, that contain the very unique last name of my financial advisor. These are NOT scanned and OCR'ed paper pages. I opened several of the files individually with
Acrobat 8 Standard and made sure I could search & find his name within the documents - his name was found every time. I closed the documents and Acrobat 8 Standard. I clicked on the Windows Start button and typed his last name. It found 9 Word documents,
a whole bunch of email messages - and 1 stinking pdf file!?!
What is wrong?
Any & all ideas, thoughts & suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary