Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error opening PDF files

Anonymous
2009-12-23T22:48:56+00:00

I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have a problem trying to open PDF files either on my hard drive or via IE.  The error message I get says: 

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.2 from the internet several times, but I am still get the error.  The PDF file will open, then this error box pops up, and I have to click OK which causes it to close the PDF.

HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-24T17:05:46+00:00

Hi,

This is known issue with Acrobat for several versions now, Adobe's current fix is just to update their software: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

The problem is with the application data being misdirected.

"The affected user has a redirected Application Data folder and as a result the network path containing the Application Data uses a UNC path that begins with \. This UNC path causes Acrobat 9.0 or Adobe Reader 9.0 to incorrectly parse the Application Data path and give the error message."

A potential Solution would be to go into the registry. Left Click type "regedit" and right click and run the program with "run as administrator". Go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and make sure see where "AppData" is pointing. If it is pointing to "%UserProfile%/Application Data" change it to point to "%UserProfile%/AppData/Roaming".

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-30T09:37:36+00:00

    Thanks, works as a charm. 

    Cristian,

    Dell Employee

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-09T20:41:33+00:00

    It worked to remove "Roaming" but the PDF now no longer oopens up inside Explorer but as a separate Adobe window.

    I get some random (?) error messages, like Internal Error, Couldn't find the file, etc. But it still works.

    Running Win 7 Home Premium 64 and Adobe 9.4

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-01T10:05:42+00:00

    YEAAAHHH!!!  It was driving me crazy!!!

    What DarkenSky said worked for Windows 7

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-10T03:18:43+00:00

    simple fix..

    delete "Acrobat" fodler from below locations

    (1) c:\users{userID}\Appdata\Local\Adobe

    (2) c:\users{userID}\Appdata\Roaming\Adobe

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments