Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error opening PDF files

Anonymous
2009-12-23T22:48:56+00:00

I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have a problem trying to open PDF files either on my hard drive or via IE.  The error message I get says: 

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.2 from the internet several times, but I am still get the error.  The PDF file will open, then this error box pops up, and I have to click OK which causes it to close the PDF.

HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-24T17:05:46+00:00

Hi,

This is known issue with Acrobat for several versions now, Adobe's current fix is just to update their software: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

The problem is with the application data being misdirected.

"The affected user has a redirected Application Data folder and as a result the network path containing the Application Data uses a UNC path that begins with \. This UNC path causes Acrobat 9.0 or Adobe Reader 9.0 to incorrectly parse the Application Data path and give the error message."

A potential Solution would be to go into the registry. Left Click type "regedit" and right click and run the program with "run as administrator". Go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and make sure see where "AppData" is pointing. If it is pointing to "%UserProfile%/Application Data" change it to point to "%UserProfile%/AppData/Roaming".

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-08-21T02:18:55+00:00

    . Works!!! Thanks so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-08-11T15:18:17+00:00

    Thanks !  This is a much better solution than disabling toolbars !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-08-11T03:22:53+00:00

    I had a client report the same errors on one of their PC's.  It appeared every time they clicked a PDF link in Internet Explorer.  It was an XP machine and has the AVG toolbar installed.

    Rather than disable the AVG toolbar, I disabled the Adobe Reader browser integration, which means PDF's are downloaded and viewed in Adobe Reader rather than the browser plug-in.  This actually give a better user experience in my opinion, as the PDF reader plug-in is quite basic.

    To do this you open Adobe Reader, click Edit -> Preferences, click Internet on the left, then turn off “Display PDF in browser”, and finally click OK.

    Seems to be a compatibility issue with Adobe Reader and some IE toolbars - see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4535348

    Hope this helps others.

    Kean

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-08-06T21:29:48+00:00

    Thanks, I tried all the other solutions and this is the one that worked for me !  It has been driving me crazy too !  Thanks again Mr. Upstar !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments