Battery "plugged in, charging", but NOT charging.

Anonymous
2010-01-20T18:11:35+00:00

Hi,

I recently upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium.  With Vista, my battery performed very admirably and I never had any issues.  As soon as I upgraded to Windows 7, I now encounter the following problem:

When I mouse over the battery icon in the system tray, it says "19% available (plugged in, charging)".  However, the battery isnot charging at all.  The little battery level animation stops, and, even though the system seems tothink it is charging my battery, it is not.  When I first installed the new OS, the battery would charge to 69% with the same problem, then it went up to 75% for about 1 week before plummeting so that, now, my battery charge ceiling is 19%, which, as you can imagine, lasts about 15 minutes on battery power.

After several redundant and unhelpful communications with Microsoft, I thought perhaps someone on this board might have experience with this issue or suggestions on what I might try.

Please note this is NOT the seemingly frequent problem that some people have with the battery saying "plugged in, not charging", as my system specifically says the battery IS charging when it is not.

It took me some time to even get Microsoft to agree to troubleshoot the problem as they insisted it was because my battery is a bit old.  However, this happens with both batteries I own, using either charger that I have, and, as I said before, it ONLY started right when I clean installed Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any help!


Ryan

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-21T17:41:39+00:00

Hello Ryanr1083,

We have come across with this issue. I would suggest you to get in touch with the system manufacturer and you may have to replace the bettery.

 You can refer to the links mentioned below, which has similar issues.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/f06a5bae-0caf-4eae-ae56-1aec1e1291e6

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/8f41bb6e-3702-4dd3-8d34-d5a4d1cff915

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/765fc712-678d-4c8e-aa00-6abb00e3eb62

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/8a5f9b80-800a-46ce-bdeb-435f411fb7dc

I hope this information helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions about this issue.

Thanks

Mir - Microsoft Support ****Visit our http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-14T14:40:03+00:00

    Hi,

    Considering the age of the thread and to avoid confusion, if the troubleshooting steps in this thread did not resolve your issue I would recommend creating a new thread so that the community can focus on that thread. Refer to the following link prior to posting a question so that you may provide all the relevant information, for us to help you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-06T11:08:07+00:00

    I am using windows 8 and i have this problem, ive tried unplugging the battery, and doing the uninstall acpi driver etc, my computer and battery are brand spanking new just out of the friggin box and its doing this. So, im trying to change the advanced settings in power options for the battery and guess what!?!? THERE IS NO WAY TO CONTROL TO WHAT % IT CHARGES! lets all do the run-a-round!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-25T03:22:28+00:00

    At Device Manager right click Click your battery adapter and uninstall that then restrat your system If any doubts verify with me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-25T01:51:12+00:00

    Hi Ryan, 

    I know your trama. I know I don,t ned a new battery either. Did you ever find a solution? Please, let

    me know. This is too big of a pain in the #%$.    windows7 huh ? thats me too.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments