Battery "plugged in, charging", but NOT charging.

Anonymous
2010-01-20T18:11:35+00:00

Hi,

I recently upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium.  With Vista, my battery performed very admirably and I never had any issues.  As soon as I upgraded to Windows 7, I now encounter the following problem:

When I mouse over the battery icon in the system tray, it says "19% available (plugged in, charging)".  However, the battery isnot charging at all.  The little battery level animation stops, and, even though the system seems tothink it is charging my battery, it is not.  When I first installed the new OS, the battery would charge to 69% with the same problem, then it went up to 75% for about 1 week before plummeting so that, now, my battery charge ceiling is 19%, which, as you can imagine, lasts about 15 minutes on battery power.

After several redundant and unhelpful communications with Microsoft, I thought perhaps someone on this board might have experience with this issue or suggestions on what I might try.

Please note this is NOT the seemingly frequent problem that some people have with the battery saying "plugged in, not charging", as my system specifically says the battery IS charging when it is not.

It took me some time to even get Microsoft to agree to troubleshoot the problem as they insisted it was because my battery is a bit old.  However, this happens with both batteries I own, using either charger that I have, and, as I said before, it ONLY started right when I clean installed Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any help!


Ryan

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-21T17:41:39+00:00

Hello Ryanr1083,

We have come across with this issue. I would suggest you to get in touch with the system manufacturer and you may have to replace the bettery.

 You can refer to the links mentioned below, which has similar issues.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/f06a5bae-0caf-4eae-ae56-1aec1e1291e6

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/8f41bb6e-3702-4dd3-8d34-d5a4d1cff915

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/765fc712-678d-4c8e-aa00-6abb00e3eb62

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/8a5f9b80-800a-46ce-bdeb-435f411fb7dc

I hope this information helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions about this issue.

Thanks

Mir - Microsoft Support ****Visit our http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-15T18:36:56+00:00

    yes did as you said and it worked ,charged battery back up to 100%.ran on battery to 50% swiched off and refit charger back ,plugged in not charging on again owell worked once

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-08T18:50:26+00:00

    Hey guys, just had this problem as late as today, so i ran a google search and found this, which didn't really had an answer so this fixed it for me:

    1. Turn off your pc
    2. Plug everything out. Battery, charger...
    3. Wait 5 minutes
    4. Plug everything back in and boot up.

    This resets the Embedded Controller, and should fix your problem

    Regards

    Lazdaa

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T14:49:43+00:00

    We have a laptop running Windows Vista and the same thing started happening around January - February 2011. Microsoft has yet to accept responsibility so being a retired Computer Network Administrator of 32 years experience....I discovered the fix.....buy an Apple Mac....problem solved!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-04T01:29:14+00:00

    This happens to my eee pc with win7 32 every 4 months or so.  The following works to fix the problem for me. 

    Shut down the laptop

    Unplug the power cord

    Remove the battery

    Put it all back together and start the computer back up. 

    I don't know why it works but it does.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments