Windows Media Center IR Hardware not detected

Anonymous
2009-07-06T09:33:04+00:00

Hi,  I'm getting stuck at the "IR Hardward not detected" when trying to set up TV.

I'm in Australia and have a wireless component receiving my digital signal from another room.  www.cocoonsystems.com.au  I'm running a Haupaggue (spell?) TV tuner.  The TV tuner can view the signal coming from my cocoon via their product called WinTV.  It is viewed on the Composite connection.  (PC is a new Dell desktop with Vista loaded)

So, when I go to set up Media Center to see the signal also I conduct the following:

1.  Set up TV Signals

2.  Region Australia

3.  Choose Antenna

4.  Select Digital Terrestrial

5.  Select Yes (to view through a set top box, because the other option doesn't find my signal)

6.  It finds picture and sound playing through Composite 1, so I select this

7.  IR Hardware not detected.

Media Center will not let me by-pass step 7 if I don't have an IR connection.  I don't need my PC to change channels because I use the digital tv remote to change channels through the cocoon system.

Is there any way anyone knows that I can by-pass this annoying question of IR Hardware not detected?  I can only assume if I had my Video Camera connected through the Composite connection I would have the same problem also, as that doesn't have a remote either.

Anything I can do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-06T19:06:30+00:00

Balibooblue,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

The only way I know to get around the need for an IR hardware device during the setup of Media Center for TV viewing is to use a "virtual" IR device.  There is one called "Vista MCE IR Blaster" that is a file you download from the Internet that simulates an IR device.  You will have to do a search for it.  Or you can buy the hardware that Media Center is asking for relatively inexpensively online, about $20 USD.

Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Let us know if this information was helpful or if you need additional help.

Thank you,


Gloria

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-12T20:47:24+00:00

    I had the same problem as most on here.  Then, I remembered that my Media Center IR box came with another IR blaster that plugs into the back of the IR box.  Once I plugged it in, Media Center was able to find the hardware.  The only problem I have now, is Media Center is unable to change channels on my Set top Box.  I reasearched Comcasts website, and a Cable Card should solve my problem, but I have not tried this yet.

    Edit:  The cable card was no help to me.  I don't even have a slot for it in my computer.  I have decided that I will just not be able to use the DTA or get all of my channels from Comcast.  I still get channels and a working media guide without the DTA, but I don't get past channel 98.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-15T12:31:01+00:00

    Hi,  I'm getting stuck at the "IR Hardward not detected" when trying to set up TV.

    I'm in Australia and have a wireless component receiving my digital signal from another room.  www.cocoonsystems.com.au  I'm running a Haupaggue (spell?) TV tuner.  The TV tuner can view the signal coming from my cocoon via their product called WinTV.  It is viewed on the Composite connection.  (PC is a new Dell desktop with Vista loaded)

    So, when I go to set up Media Center to see the signal also I conduct the following:

    1.  Set up TV Signals

    2.  Region Australia

    3.  Choose Antenna

    4.  Select Digital Terrestrial

    5.  Select Yes (to view through a set top box, because the other option doesn't find my signal)

    6.  It finds picture and sound playing through Composite 1, so I select this

    7.  IR Hardware not detected.

    Media Center will not let me by-pass step 7 if I don't have an IR connection.  I don't need my PC to change channels because I use the digital tv remote to change channels through the cocoon system.

    Is there any way anyone knows that I can by-pass this annoying question of IR Hardware not detected?  I can only assume if I had my Video Camera connected through the Composite connection I would have the same problem also, as that doesn't have a remote either.

    Anything I can do?

    Thanks for the workaround until my blaster arrives, but I ran into one problem. WHen I add a channel in the guide it wants two sets of three digits. How do I add channel 3 so MCE will bring up my cable signal. MY STB is on channel 3.I tried 3.1, 300 etc. No joy. Appreciate the help.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-15T12:35:21+00:00

    How did you add channell 3 to the MCE. I tried to add channel 3 for my Comcast box and I could only add 3.1. MCE looks for two sets of three digits. Appreciate your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-21T06:34:08+00:00

    I have looked online at various help desks and the "Vista MCE IR Blaster" software works with Vista but not x64 win 7. The creator of the program says it could not get approval from Microsoft and sometimes results in a BSOD. Is there any solution for Win 7?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments