Windows Media Center IR Hardware not detected

Anonymous
2009-07-06T09:33:04+00:00

Hi,  I'm getting stuck at the "IR Hardward not detected" when trying to set up TV.

I'm in Australia and have a wireless component receiving my digital signal from another room.  www.cocoonsystems.com.au  I'm running a Haupaggue (spell?) TV tuner.  The TV tuner can view the signal coming from my cocoon via their product called WinTV.  It is viewed on the Composite connection.  (PC is a new Dell desktop with Vista loaded)

So, when I go to set up Media Center to see the signal also I conduct the following:

1.  Set up TV Signals

2.  Region Australia

3.  Choose Antenna

4.  Select Digital Terrestrial

5.  Select Yes (to view through a set top box, because the other option doesn't find my signal)

6.  It finds picture and sound playing through Composite 1, so I select this

7.  IR Hardware not detected.

Media Center will not let me by-pass step 7 if I don't have an IR connection.  I don't need my PC to change channels because I use the digital tv remote to change channels through the cocoon system.

Is there any way anyone knows that I can by-pass this annoying question of IR Hardware not detected?  I can only assume if I had my Video Camera connected through the Composite connection I would have the same problem also, as that doesn't have a remote either.

Anything I can do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-06T19:06:30+00:00

Balibooblue,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

The only way I know to get around the need for an IR hardware device during the setup of Media Center for TV viewing is to use a "virtual" IR device.  There is one called "Vista MCE IR Blaster" that is a file you download from the Internet that simulates an IR device.  You will have to do a search for it.  Or you can buy the hardware that Media Center is asking for relatively inexpensively online, about $20 USD.

Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Let us know if this information was helpful or if you need additional help.

Thank you,


Gloria

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-22T12:08:58+00:00

    Thanks a million.  The solution works great for me, remoting from direct tv.  Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-11T01:33:51+00:00

    Ok after millions of attempts trying all sorts of things i finally ended up shoving two headphones into the jack of the usb hub for the MCE remote and vaalla it worked got past the ir hardware detection although it doesn't control my set top box like it used to before in vista I'm satisfied for now till i get around to buying some IR bugs. i hope this helped because it sure drove me nuts i run on windows 7 x64 good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-19T18:21:25+00:00

    I found that this doesn't actually work.  I get around the windows media center setup but couldn't change to channel 3 so I can use my set top box remote.  This is what does worked for me (cable provider, set top box with remote, no IR blaster, Windows Media Center on Vista 64 Ultimate)

    1. Set up TV Signals
    2. Choose your region
    3. Allow Windows Media Center to detect your signal (in my case cable was detected)
    4. When media media center prompts for a set top box say NO (even if you have one!)
    5. Download the guide based on your ZIP code - you won't be able to change channels using it but it's nice to have anyway.
    6. Use Windows Media Center to tune in to channel 3 / 4 based on your cable network.
    7. Use remote with your set top box.

    You can still record but you'll have to live with staying on channel 3 and making sure that you are tuned in right with your set top box.

    Otherwise, buy a IR blaster kit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-15T05:28:22+00:00

    Welll I'm glad it's working. Did you have to add a channel to the guide like I did?  Lets hope it stays on for you.

    Maddog

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments