Compatibility Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 vs. Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-01-02T14:00:35+00:00

I installed MS Flight Simulator in Windows 7. The installation went smoothly. 

And I could start MS Flight Simulator up till the Homepage appeared.

BUT: when opening "videoparts" (i.e. the instruction at the start, parts of MS FS with moving pictures) the programme closed and a message said:

**"A problem has occurred. The programme doesnt work well anymore. The programme will be closed."**I tried to find if anything was wrong with the compatibility. But everyhting seems fine.

I hope someone can help me with my favourite game-programme.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-10T01:14:55+00:00

All I can think of now is to update your video drivers.

If it still doesn't work, then unfortunately it's something wrong with your computer because it states here that FS2004 is fully compatible with Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%202004%3a%20A%20Century%20of%20Flight&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=0&pi=0&s=flight%20simulator%202004&os=32-bit

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-30T04:50:42+00:00

    First of all, after installing any application or game, you should defragment your drive. This can resolve many issues with games not working correctly. I remember the first couple times playing GTA IV, it would crash after five minutes. I defragged my drive and it never crashed after that. To defrag your drive, type defragment in the start menu search box. Click defragment your hard drive . If you have a third-party program (Perfectdisk, Diskeeper) then use that instead. If after defragging your drive FS 2004 still crashes, try this:

    Right click on the game shortcut and select properties . In the new window that opens, select the tab named compatibility . Under Run this program in compatibility mode , tick the box and in the drop-down box, select the version of Windows that the game operated correctly on (ex: If it worked on Windows XP SP3, select Windows XP SP3). Then at the bottom, tick the box that says Run as an administrator .

    Let me know if it works.

    I followed your advice to the letter and it will not open after I click on the game shortcut.  I have a pc running windows 7.  I have windows 10 on my laptop and it won't run on it either.

    Thanks

    Nolan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-14T01:37:51+00:00

    I have the same problem, but Im done, I dont go to loock nothing more, the problems ,is that flight simulator 9 is not compartibility with windows 7,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-14T07:11:06+00:00

    Juanitodel - Sorry to hear none of the suggestions worked for you and Chip. I will tell you that Flight Simulator 9 is compatible with Windows 7. It worked on my previous computer, Windows 7 Home Premium and now on my Windows 7 Professional computer. I have just recently over the Christmas holidays, purchased and installed Flight Simulator X and the Windows 7 Professional seems to run it just fine! I have not installed the acceleration disk as I think I might just be borderline on expecting this computer to run it. It works and I am not going to push it!

    I wish someone that is computer savy and very knowledgeable with Microsoft Flight Simulator would be able to help you. I am just an end user and know just enough about computers to be dangerous. I found a Microsoft Flight Sim X forum and it had 63 pages of help needed questions. Let me do some searching to see if I can find a forum directly associated to Flight Sim 9. In the meantime, don't give up just yet, these are two very entertaining programs which can be enjoyed by anyone who has an interest in flying!

    • Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-14T07:30:18+00:00

    Juanitodel and Chip - Okay, here's a FS2004 (FS9) user forum, 202 pages. You might find something that will help? Good luck and keep us all posted!  - Rick

    https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/1/fs2004-general/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments