Compatibility Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 vs. Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-01-02T14:00:35+00:00

I installed MS Flight Simulator in Windows 7. The installation went smoothly. 

And I could start MS Flight Simulator up till the Homepage appeared.

BUT: when opening "videoparts" (i.e. the instruction at the start, parts of MS FS with moving pictures) the programme closed and a message said:

**"A problem has occurred. The programme doesnt work well anymore. The programme will be closed."**I tried to find if anything was wrong with the compatibility. But everyhting seems fine.

I hope someone can help me with my favourite game-programme.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-10T01:14:55+00:00

All I can think of now is to update your video drivers.

If it still doesn't work, then unfortunately it's something wrong with your computer because it states here that FS2004 is fully compatible with Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%202004%3a%20A%20Century%20of%20Flight&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=0&pi=0&s=flight%20simulator%202004&os=32-bit

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T19:51:42+00:00

    Chip - Here's the information I was originally going to send you. If you are going the route of virtual PC and Windows XP compatibility, Flight has to be installed in the XP compatibility environment, not your Windows 7 Ultimate environment. Don't know how you reloaded, but if you went the XP compatibility route, FS2004 should be loaded in that environment.

    2.2 Windows XP Mode

    If you have the Professional or Ultimate version of Windows 7 you can address any compatibility issues that you have with Windows XP programs by using the Windows XP Compatibility Mode feature.

    The name of the feature actually under-sells what the feature does. Previous attempts by Microsoft to enable compatibility have functioned by making adjustments to the way the installed operating system handles a program, but went no further. The Windows XP Compatibility Mode, on the other hand, allows you to launch a full virtual machine running Windows XP.

    Running the Windows XP Compatibility Mode opens a new window on your desktop that is running a full version of Windows XP. In effect, your computer is running two operating systems at once. This means that the compatibility offered through Windows XP mode is perfect. Any program that would run in Windows XP should run in Windows XP compatibility mode.

    To use a program with XP mode, run the program’s installer within the virtual machine running Windows XP. Installation will proceed exactly as it would on a normal PC running Windows XP.

    XP Mode consists of the Virtual PC-based virtual environment and a fully licensed copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). It will be made available, for free, to users of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions via a download from the Microsoft web site. (That is, it will not be included in the box with Windows 7, but is considered an out-of-band update, like Windows Live Essentials.) XPM works much like today's Virtual PC products, but with one important exception: As with the enterprise-based MED-V (Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization) product, XPM does not require you to run the virtual environment as a separate Windows desktop. Instead, as you install applications inside the virtual XP environment, they are published to the host (Windows 7) OS as well. (With shortcuts placed in the Start Menu.) That way, users can run Windows XP-based applications (like IE 6) alongside Windows 7 applications under a single desktop.

    Hope it helps you. For more information http://windows7.iyogi.net

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T20:47:48+00:00

    That's what i did.

    First I loaded Virtual PC, then I downloaded ans installed XP Compatibility Mode.

    From the XP desktop, I loaded the 4 CDs.

    Then, when I try to run it, I get the message that FS can't run during a remote desktop session.

    I am doomed...LOL

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T21:27:26+00:00

    Chip - I wish I knew more about this XP Compatibility Mode, so I am learning as you go! Here is some instructions I found which might help. In them it says to load the programs in the XP Compatibility mode, but then says to get out of that and go back into Windows 7 and then proceed to instruction #4. Is this how you were trying to open the program? Don't forget to have Disc #4 in your drive! You are not doomed yet!

    To install and use a program in Windows XP Mode In Windows 7, click the Start button , click All Programs, click Windows Virtual PC, and then click Windows XP Mode. In Windows XP Mode, insert the program's installation disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive; or browse to the program's installation file, open the file, and follow the instructions to install the program. XP Mode" class="embedObject" src="http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/3dfb1e52-e53c-40d5-839a-0265ee71db29_0.jpg">Installing a program in Windows XP Mode Click the Close button at the top of the Windows XP Mode window.

    #4 In Windows 7, click the Start button , click Windows Virtual PC, click Windows XP Mode Applications, and then click the program you want to open.

    Note If the Windows XP Mode window is open when you try opening a program in Windows XP Mode from Windows 7, you'll be prompted to close the virtual machine. Be sure to save any data you want to keep in Windows XP Mode before closing it.

    Looks like you are trying to open the program from the XP Compatibility when the above suggests, getting out of there, go into Windows 7 then Virtual PC, then chose your compatibility and then open program from there. Need to go thru Windows 7 and Virtual PC first!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-18T13:28:28+00:00

    That's exactly what I have been doing.

    But yesterday, since my computer was doing weird things, (continuously freezing), I removed the XP Mode and re-installed the program min W7.

    Maybe one day I will find a solution to make it work again in W7 like it used to.

    Thanks for your perseverance....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments