Compatibility Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 vs. Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-01-02T14:00:35+00:00

I installed MS Flight Simulator in Windows 7. The installation went smoothly. 

And I could start MS Flight Simulator up till the Homepage appeared.

BUT: when opening "videoparts" (i.e. the instruction at the start, parts of MS FS with moving pictures) the programme closed and a message said:

**"A problem has occurred. The programme doesnt work well anymore. The programme will be closed."**I tried to find if anything was wrong with the compatibility. But everyhting seems fine.

I hope someone can help me with my favourite game-programme.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-10T01:14:55+00:00

All I can think of now is to update your video drivers.

If it still doesn't work, then unfortunately it's something wrong with your computer because it states here that FS2004 is fully compatible with Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%202004%3a%20A%20Century%20of%20Flight&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=0&pi=0&s=flight%20simulator%202004&os=32-bit

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T18:56:50+00:00

    I went though the exercise of loading FS4 again and at the end, when trying to run it in XP Compatible mode, I get the message : "Flight Simulator cannot run during a Remote Desktop session and will now quit".

    ****...!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T19:17:23+00:00

    Chip - You asked me if we were having fun yet? Are you?

    Flight Simulator cannot run during a remote Desk Top session and will now close.

    BL

    Bobthepilotwho loves FS asked on

    Flight Simulator cannot run during a remote session and will now exit!

    I have XP Mode and when I try to run FS X I get the above message!  How do I get FS X to run in a virtual enviornment?

    4 people had this question

    Abuse history


    Answer

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/ImageDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=3eec646d-4e58-4ec3-b071-f7737fc2ab74&sid=c1f19169-195e-4a54-ba18-fa12395b466f&sz=50)

    Azam K replied on

    • Microsoft

    Accomplishments


    • Microsoft

    Hi,

    There is no need to run Flight Simulator  in the Windows XP Virtual Machine in W7 because its not designed for games that use the complexities of DX9 or higher, secondly its designed for your critical applications that no longer work under W7 but you must still access post upgrade.

    Flight Simulator works just fine under Windows 7.

    Sorry, but why do you want to try and run it in XP mode? It will run perfectly fine in Windows 7.

    The problem is because virtual XP uses a special set of VGA drivers that ignore the physical hardware and consequently are not designed to run 3D applications.

     Here is the link to check compatibility:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?type=Software&s=Flight%20Simulator%20x&os=64-bit

    You may also install and run the program in Compatibility mode:

    Program compatibility is a mode in Windows that lets you run programs written for earlier versions of Windows.

    If an older program doesn't run correctly, the first, and easiest, thing to try is the Program Compatibility troubleshooter. It can automatically detect and fix common problems that prevent older programs from installing or running correctly.

    1.    Open the Program Compatibility troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Programs, click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

    For more information on this visit the following link:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-program-compatibility

    Azam – Microsoft Support.

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and, if you have any feed backs you can post here.

    1 person found this helpful

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T19:19:31+00:00

    Chip - If you want it badly enough, you need to hang in there, keep chipping away it, you will get it!

    Easy for me to say, mine ended up easy with only deleting a windows update! Just a try, but try right clicking the Flight Sim short cut, properties and then compatibility, check the Windows 7 compatible mode and see if it still gives you the same message. Something's got to work!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T19:28:49+00:00

    Just curious, you do have Disk 4 in the drive when you are trying to open Flight Sim, correct?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments