Compatibility Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 vs. Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-01-02T14:00:35+00:00

I installed MS Flight Simulator in Windows 7. The installation went smoothly. 

And I could start MS Flight Simulator up till the Homepage appeared.

BUT: when opening "videoparts" (i.e. the instruction at the start, parts of MS FS with moving pictures) the programme closed and a message said:

**"A problem has occurred. The programme doesnt work well anymore. The programme will be closed."**I tried to find if anything was wrong with the compatibility. But everyhting seems fine.

I hope someone can help me with my favourite game-programme.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-10T01:14:55+00:00

All I can think of now is to update your video drivers.

If it still doesn't work, then unfortunately it's something wrong with your computer because it states here that FS2004 is fully compatible with Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%202004%3a%20A%20Century%20of%20Flight&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=0&pi=0&s=flight%20simulator%202004&os=32-bit

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T17:12:56+00:00

    I went to "Windows Virtual PC and it is making me install "updates".  But nowhere can I find the XP Compatability thingy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T17:10:30+00:00

    Chip - Sorry, these sites didn't appear on this forum as simple to use links! Here is another Microsoft site which will explain how the compatibility mode works. The first site above, I couldn't get it to work, so let's hope this one will!

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T16:32:12+00:00

    Chip - Here is the information about the Microsoft Windows XP compatibility mode that can be downloaded to Microsoft Windows 7 Professional or the Ultimate version. Might be something to consider; it would give you the best of two versions, especially trying to run older programs!

    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-the-ultimate-windows-7-guide/

    I'll see if I can find the Microsoft download site and send you another reply! Here it is..................

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

    The above download site says it is good with all versions of Win 7, but I read somewhere only Win 7 Professional and Win 7 Ultimate!  What I would do before downloading this, try the right click on the shortcut, then properties and then in the compatibility, chose the option of Windows XP and see if that works.

    Good luck! - Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T14:01:23+00:00

    I have the original 4 disks.

    But the last time I tried to load it, I wasn't even asked for the serial number.  I thought that was weird.

    It used to work fine with XP and, as I remember it, with WIndows 7.

    I had to reformat my drive once and when I tried to re-load FS, it didn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments