Compatibility Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 vs. Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-01-02T14:00:35+00:00

I installed MS Flight Simulator in Windows 7. The installation went smoothly. 

And I could start MS Flight Simulator up till the Homepage appeared.

BUT: when opening "videoparts" (i.e. the instruction at the start, parts of MS FS with moving pictures) the programme closed and a message said:

**"A problem has occurred. The programme doesnt work well anymore. The programme will be closed."**I tried to find if anything was wrong with the compatibility. But everyhting seems fine.

I hope someone can help me with my favourite game-programme.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-10T01:14:55+00:00

All I can think of now is to update your video drivers.

If it still doesn't work, then unfortunately it's something wrong with your computer because it states here that FS2004 is fully compatible with Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%202004%3a%20A%20Century%20of%20Flight&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=0&pi=0&s=flight%20simulator%202004&os=32-bit

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T14:01:23+00:00

    I have the original 4 disks.

    But the last time I tried to load it, I wasn't even asked for the serial number.  I thought that was weird.

    It used to work fine with XP and, as I remember it, with WIndows 7.

    I had to reformat my drive once and when I tried to re-load FS, it didn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T05:59:25+00:00

    Chip - Are you loading FS2004 from the original program disks or trying to download the program from the internet? Has FS 2004 worked for you in the past or is this a first time attempt in loading the program? To be honest with you, I never knew Microsoft had a Windows 7 Ultimate. I did some reading on how it compares to the Windows 7 Home Premium and the Windows 7 Professional version.

    Depending on how you answer the above questions about source of download, I can provide you with a link that shows how to download Windows XP compatibility mode (offered only to those running Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate) on to your computer. This download basically gives you another Operating System which allows you to load older programs into a Windows XP environment. From what I have read, FS 2004 worked fine without issues with Windows XP computers. I think you still have a chance getting this program to work only if you have the original FS 2004 programs disks (4). If you are trying to download this program from the internet, I think you are "spinning your wheels!" I found my original receipt for my FS 2004, $54.99 from Best Buy 04/22/2004. There is a reason people are still able to sell FS 2004 on Ebay for $40 to $50 used and in good condition. As much as I enjoy this program, I'd like to see you and others get this working on your computer. When Microsoft says the program is compatible with Windows 7, I believe it is, but might take some additional work on newer computers! Let me know and Good Luck - Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T23:20:15+00:00

    Too late.

    I've uninstalled it.

    I was going to try again to download and run Simulator X but I see it's only a trial version...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T23:01:37+00:00

    Click on Windows 7, this is an older program, that's the closest you will get!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments