Windows XP: USB mouse and keyboard stopped working

Anonymous
2010-07-24T14:19:59+00:00

After one of the Microsoft Windows updates my USB mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Dell) stopped working. They are working before login screen and working if I boot from Symantec boot disk. But I cannot login at all because I cannot go through the login screen. Been looking ovet the net for a week - tried some suggested solutions (like add another USB PCI, etc.) - nothing working. I can use keyboard in BIOS settings (all USB legacy is enabled). Computer - Dell Dimension E520, XP pro. And I do not have PS/2 ports unfortunately. Not sure it will work if I will add PCI with PS/2 ports...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-25T09:33:38+00:00

Done unplugging all devices - no changes. tried to boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt -no keyboard or mouse...

Here are some snippets from DELL website, please take your time to read it and apply as required:

Make sure that you are using the correct ports and also read extensively about theI/O-Panel Components on one of the links provided below.

A USB Device Is Not Detected After Reseating on a Dell™ Dimension™ E520

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=36A71AB797507F2FE040A68F5B280CA4&doclang=en&cs=

A USB Device is Not Detected

When a USB device on a Dimension E520 is reseated into the same USB port, or swapped between USB ports, the USB device may not be detected by the system.

USB Device Does Not Work When Connected to Desktop Computer

Journal ID:       10206J5M9F

Wizard ID:      110448

Date Published:      8/14/2003

Last Revised:      8/21/2009

STEP: Ensure That the USB Device Is Attached Directly To the Port

Additional Information

To ensure the device is attached directly to the port, verify that the USB cable runs directly from the peripheral to the USB port, with no intermediate devices in between.

How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=8BC411B5B323C433E040AC0A63E9670A&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C

Removing and Installing Parts

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1184332

Try to make sure the I/O-Panel Components fitted firmly

Extended Test  Dell Diagnostics Main Menu

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1059431

On the same page locate "System Messages " and the "Beep Codes " read what can be done and apply.

USB Controller :Set to On (default) so that USB devices will be detected and supported in the operating system.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055144

On the same Page above Under "Maintenance" see this option I mentioned in one of my earleir post:

Load Defaults :Allows you to reset all options in the setup menu to the factory default.


nass -- http://www.nasstec.co.uk

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-10T15:50:04+00:00

    In our experience we have found that the version 12.1 of symantec antivirus does not work with certain machines causing the mouse and keyboard to not work. After removing this version it starts to work but we had to remote in to remove it, Symantec 11.4 works with these computers.

    Another thing that works is doing an unistall of the HID device that has the exclaimation on it and then after that do a scan for hardware changes and it reinstalls the driver and it works but when the machine is rebooted you are back to square one in uninstalling and then scan for hardware changes again, so doing just a log off and leaving the machine on is the best way until you back down the symantec.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-15T15:05:04+00:00

    After one of the Microsoft Windows updates my USB mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Dell) stopped working. They are working before login screen and working if I boot from Symantec boot disk. But I cannot login at all because I cannot go through the login screen. Been looking ovet the net for a week - tried some suggested solutions (like add another USB PCI, etc.) - nothing working. I can use keyboard in BIOS settings (all USB legacy is enabled). Computer - Dell Dimension E520, XP pro. And I do not have PS/2 ports unfortunately. Not sure it will work if I will add PCI with PS/2 ports...

    PLEASE HELP!!!

    This worked for me Below are the steps taken (Windows XP)

    1. Remove/uninstall any effected device drivers via Device Manager if possible (for me the keyboard worked but not the mouse only removed mouse driver)
    2. Copy Folders from a clean install of

    "C:\Windows\Inf" (It's Hidden)

    "C:\Windows\System32\drivers"

    Personally I use a bootable Linux distro, Parted Magic, and then copied them from a clean install to the affected system.

    Browse to the folder C:\Windows\inf and find the file INFCACHE.1

    Rename the file INFCACHE.1 to INFCACHE.1.BAK.

    1. Reboot, after which for me the system detected the mouse and keyboard and everything is working without issue.

    I hope this helps, I can't guarantee this will work for everyone

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-05T18:40:14+00:00

    I have this same issue except my keyboard will not even work to get me into BIOS or anything. I hate to bark up old bagpipes..but any ideas? Is just wiping the computer and having a clean install my only bet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-16T15:15:14+00:00

    If it doesn't get you into BIOS it is probably a bad Keyboard or USB port. BIOS settings are accessed before the Operating System (Windows) so reloading windows would probably not fix it.

    1. Try a different USB port.
    2. Try a different Keyboard.

    If you have tiem to kill you can reload windows (fresh installs always run better :). I'd bet the keyboard wouldn't work in the windows installer either.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments