Windows XP: USB mouse and keyboard stopped working

Anonymous
2010-07-24T14:19:59+00:00

After one of the Microsoft Windows updates my USB mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Dell) stopped working. They are working before login screen and working if I boot from Symantec boot disk. But I cannot login at all because I cannot go through the login screen. Been looking ovet the net for a week - tried some suggested solutions (like add another USB PCI, etc.) - nothing working. I can use keyboard in BIOS settings (all USB legacy is enabled). Computer - Dell Dimension E520, XP pro. And I do not have PS/2 ports unfortunately. Not sure it will work if I will add PCI with PS/2 ports...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-25T09:33:38+00:00

Done unplugging all devices - no changes. tried to boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt -no keyboard or mouse...

Here are some snippets from DELL website, please take your time to read it and apply as required:

Make sure that you are using the correct ports and also read extensively about theI/O-Panel Components on one of the links provided below.

A USB Device Is Not Detected After Reseating on a Dell™ Dimension™ E520

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=36A71AB797507F2FE040A68F5B280CA4&doclang=en&cs=

A USB Device is Not Detected

When a USB device on a Dimension E520 is reseated into the same USB port, or swapped between USB ports, the USB device may not be detected by the system.

USB Device Does Not Work When Connected to Desktop Computer

Journal ID:       10206J5M9F

Wizard ID:      110448

Date Published:      8/14/2003

Last Revised:      8/21/2009

STEP: Ensure That the USB Device Is Attached Directly To the Port

Additional Information

To ensure the device is attached directly to the port, verify that the USB cable runs directly from the peripheral to the USB port, with no intermediate devices in between.

How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=8BC411B5B323C433E040AC0A63E9670A&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C

Removing and Installing Parts

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1184332

Try to make sure the I/O-Panel Components fitted firmly

Extended Test  Dell Diagnostics Main Menu

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1059431

On the same page locate "System Messages " and the "Beep Codes " read what can be done and apply.

USB Controller :Set to On (default) so that USB devices will be detected and supported in the operating system.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055144

On the same Page above Under "Maintenance" see this option I mentioned in one of my earleir post:

Load Defaults :Allows you to reset all options in the setup menu to the factory default.


nass -- http://www.nasstec.co.uk

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-02T02:45:47+00:00

    "Nascarfan48" wrote in message news:33da8386-1b0d-4b6e-961c-e613aa06b74f...

    Hmmm.  I am experiencing a similar problem on my XP machine.  Here's what happened...

    I unplugged all peripherals and USB keyboard and USB mouse in order to move to another desk.  I then reattached all items, then booted my machine.  Mouse and keyboard not responding, so I cannot log in to resolve matter.  Attempted in safe mode with no success.  My mouse and keyboard are of Microsoft manufacture and are wireless.  Unsuccessful despite anything that I attempt.  Any ideas? 

    Try using a different mouse and keyboard - the receiver may be borked on hits set.

    --


    Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-02T02:26:42+00:00

    Hmmm.  I am experiencing a similar problem on my XP machine.  Here's what happened...

    I unplugged all peripherals and USB keyboard and USB mouse in order to move to another desk.  I then reattached all items, then booted my machine.  Mouse and keyboard not responding, so I cannot log in to resolve matter.  Attempted in safe mode with no success.  My mouse and keyboard are of Microsoft manufacture and are wireless.  Unsuccessful despite anything that I attempt.  Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-25T23:12:24+00:00

    I know it's a little late, but I have recently ran into the same problem and I was reading here hoping to find an answer. I have solved my problem and I was hoping to post what i did in hopes it would help someone here in the future.

    Windows loads drivers in a specific order, sometimes that order gets mixed up for whatever reason (haven't figured that part out yet). obviously mouse and keyboard would be first. But *things* happen.

    What I did was I unplugged the mouse and left only the keyboard, monitor, and power cord connected to the machine; then I booted the machine. The keyboard loaded. I then plugged in the mouse (USB) and used the keyboard to go through the "New Hardware" installation wizard.

    I hope this helps someone.

    Take it easy, and remember:

    Don't get mad at the computers, They only do what we tell them to. Nothing more, Nothing less ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-08T19:14:12+00:00

    Eugine

    I have exactly the same problem. Have you found any other solution beside reloading backup?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments