Windows XP: USB mouse and keyboard stopped working

Anonymous
2010-07-24T14:19:59+00:00

After one of the Microsoft Windows updates my USB mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Dell) stopped working. They are working before login screen and working if I boot from Symantec boot disk. But I cannot login at all because I cannot go through the login screen. Been looking ovet the net for a week - tried some suggested solutions (like add another USB PCI, etc.) - nothing working. I can use keyboard in BIOS settings (all USB legacy is enabled). Computer - Dell Dimension E520, XP pro. And I do not have PS/2 ports unfortunately. Not sure it will work if I will add PCI with PS/2 ports...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-25T09:33:38+00:00

Done unplugging all devices - no changes. tried to boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt -no keyboard or mouse...

Here are some snippets from DELL website, please take your time to read it and apply as required:

Make sure that you are using the correct ports and also read extensively about theI/O-Panel Components on one of the links provided below.

A USB Device Is Not Detected After Reseating on a Dell™ Dimension™ E520

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=36A71AB797507F2FE040A68F5B280CA4&doclang=en&cs=

A USB Device is Not Detected

When a USB device on a Dimension E520 is reseated into the same USB port, or swapped between USB ports, the USB device may not be detected by the system.

USB Device Does Not Work When Connected to Desktop Computer

Journal ID:       10206J5M9F

Wizard ID:      110448

Date Published:      8/14/2003

Last Revised:      8/21/2009

STEP: Ensure That the USB Device Is Attached Directly To the Port

Additional Information

To ensure the device is attached directly to the port, verify that the USB cable runs directly from the peripheral to the USB port, with no intermediate devices in between.

How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=8BC411B5B323C433E040AC0A63E9670A&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C

Removing and Installing Parts

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1184332

Try to make sure the I/O-Panel Components fitted firmly

Extended Test  Dell Diagnostics Main Menu

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1059431

On the same page locate "System Messages " and the "Beep Codes " read what can be done and apply.

USB Controller :Set to On (default) so that USB devices will be detected and supported in the operating system.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055144

On the same Page above Under "Maintenance" see this option I mentioned in one of my earleir post:

Load Defaults :Allows you to reset all options in the setup menu to the factory default.


nass -- http://www.nasstec.co.uk

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-02T05:36:06+00:00

    On mine XP recognizes both the keyboard and/or mouse but tries to run a Found New Hardware Wizard for USB Composite Device ... since I can't click or type until it runs, I seem to be hosed.  Last known Good Config didn't fix it.  I got into this position by installing a processor upgrade that wasn't compatible although Dell said it was.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-12T00:46:16+00:00

    I am having the same problem as stated by Eugene_K, et al. I will try the resolution posted by TechGuy86 and post results next week.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-17T21:34:15+00:00

    I had the same problem but I was dual booting Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 on separate hard drives. I  updated my Intel  chipset drivers and now my mouse and keyboard are working fine.

    My mouse and keyboard worked fine in windows 7 btw.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments