Windows XP: USB mouse and keyboard stopped working

Anonymous
2010-07-24T14:19:59+00:00

After one of the Microsoft Windows updates my USB mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Dell) stopped working. They are working before login screen and working if I boot from Symantec boot disk. But I cannot login at all because I cannot go through the login screen. Been looking ovet the net for a week - tried some suggested solutions (like add another USB PCI, etc.) - nothing working. I can use keyboard in BIOS settings (all USB legacy is enabled). Computer - Dell Dimension E520, XP pro. And I do not have PS/2 ports unfortunately. Not sure it will work if I will add PCI with PS/2 ports...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-25T09:33:38+00:00

Done unplugging all devices - no changes. tried to boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt -no keyboard or mouse...

Here are some snippets from DELL website, please take your time to read it and apply as required:

Make sure that you are using the correct ports and also read extensively about theI/O-Panel Components on one of the links provided below.

A USB Device Is Not Detected After Reseating on a Dell™ Dimension™ E520

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=36A71AB797507F2FE040A68F5B280CA4&doclang=en&cs=

A USB Device is Not Detected

When a USB device on a Dimension E520 is reseated into the same USB port, or swapped between USB ports, the USB device may not be detected by the system.

USB Device Does Not Work When Connected to Desktop Computer

Journal ID:       10206J5M9F

Wizard ID:      110448

Date Published:      8/14/2003

Last Revised:      8/21/2009

STEP: Ensure That the USB Device Is Attached Directly To the Port

Additional Information

To ensure the device is attached directly to the port, verify that the USB cable runs directly from the peripheral to the USB port, with no intermediate devices in between.

How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=8BC411B5B323C433E040AC0A63E9670A&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C

Removing and Installing Parts

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1184332

Try to make sure the I/O-Panel Components fitted firmly

Extended Test  Dell Diagnostics Main Menu

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1059431

On the same page locate "System Messages " and the "Beep Codes " read what can be done and apply.

USB Controller :Set to On (default) so that USB devices will be detected and supported in the operating system.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055144

On the same Page above Under "Maintenance" see this option I mentioned in one of my earleir post:

Load Defaults :Allows you to reset all options in the setup menu to the factory default.


nass -- http://www.nasstec.co.uk

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-24T16:53:47+00:00

    No in safe mode they are not working as well...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-24T16:32:18+00:00

    After one of the Microsoft Windows updates my USB mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Dell) stopped working. They are working before login screen and working if I boot from Symantec boot disk. But I cannot login at all because I cannot go through the login screen. Been looking ovet the net for a week - tried some suggested solutions (like add another USB PCI, etc.) - nothing working. I can use keyboard in BIOS settings (all USB legacy is enabled). Computer - Dell Dimension E520, XP pro. And I do not have PS/2 ports unfortunately. Not sure it will work if I will add PCI with PS/2 ports...

    PLEASE HELP!!!

    I think your Mouse and keyboard may doesn't have anything to do with your issue here! Are you able to access the Desktop or it sit there on the log on screen?

    If you can't log into your Desktop then I think the updates weren't installed correctly or an incomplete install of the Updates took place, hence things gone wrong. TryLast Known Configuration That worked and see if you can log on. If you can't try to accessSafe Mode and Perform a System Restore and this time give the updates time to install and monitor the installation by installing them manually or InAdvance Mode instead of Express Mode.


    nass -- http://www.nasstec.co.uk

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-24T15:58:57+00:00

    <Eugene_K> wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

    After one of the Microsoft Windows updates my USB mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Dell) stopped working. They are working before login screen and working if I boot from Symantec boot disk. But I cannot login at all because I cannot go through the login screen. Been looking ovet the net for a week - tried some suggested solutions (like add another USB PCI, etc.) - nothing working. I can use keyboard in BIOS settings (all USB legacy is enabled). Computer - Dell Dimension E520, XP pro. And I do not have PS/2 ports unfortunately. Not sure it will work if I will add PCI with PS/2 ports...

    PLEASE HELP!!!

    If you have an idea which update it was that caused it, you can uninstall it. It's a little rough maneuvering with a keyboard, but it can be done. Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Put a check mark in the box Show Updates (tab to it and press the space bar), then sort by Date Last Used.

    If that doesn't fix it, then you can try a System Restore to a date before the problem started. That would be easier from Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

    How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the Command prompt in Windows XP  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449


    SC Tom

    Edit: I'm sorry, I forgot the keyboard doesn't work. How about in safe mode? Do the mouse and/or keyboard work then?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments