Windows XP: USB mouse and keyboard stopped working

Anonymous
2010-07-24T14:19:59+00:00

After one of the Microsoft Windows updates my USB mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Dell) stopped working. They are working before login screen and working if I boot from Symantec boot disk. But I cannot login at all because I cannot go through the login screen. Been looking ovet the net for a week - tried some suggested solutions (like add another USB PCI, etc.) - nothing working. I can use keyboard in BIOS settings (all USB legacy is enabled). Computer - Dell Dimension E520, XP pro. And I do not have PS/2 ports unfortunately. Not sure it will work if I will add PCI with PS/2 ports...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-25T09:33:38+00:00

Done unplugging all devices - no changes. tried to boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt -no keyboard or mouse...

Here are some snippets from DELL website, please take your time to read it and apply as required:

Make sure that you are using the correct ports and also read extensively about theI/O-Panel Components on one of the links provided below.

A USB Device Is Not Detected After Reseating on a Dell™ Dimension™ E520

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=36A71AB797507F2FE040A68F5B280CA4&doclang=en&cs=

A USB Device is Not Detected

When a USB device on a Dimension E520 is reseated into the same USB port, or swapped between USB ports, the USB device may not be detected by the system.

USB Device Does Not Work When Connected to Desktop Computer

Journal ID:       10206J5M9F

Wizard ID:      110448

Date Published:      8/14/2003

Last Revised:      8/21/2009

STEP: Ensure That the USB Device Is Attached Directly To the Port

Additional Information

To ensure the device is attached directly to the port, verify that the USB cable runs directly from the peripheral to the USB port, with no intermediate devices in between.

How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=8BC411B5B323C433E040AC0A63E9670A&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C

Removing and Installing Parts

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1184332

Try to make sure the I/O-Panel Components fitted firmly

Extended Test  Dell Diagnostics Main Menu

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1059431

On the same page locate "System Messages " and the "Beep Codes " read what can be done and apply.

USB Controller :Set to On (default) so that USB devices will be detected and supported in the operating system.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055144

On the same Page above Under "Maintenance" see this option I mentioned in one of my earleir post:

Load Defaults :Allows you to reset all options in the setup menu to the factory default.


nass -- http://www.nasstec.co.uk

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-25T11:05:32+00:00

    Thank you very much - I still would like to find the reason even if I will make it work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-25T11:03:16+00:00

    Thanks - I have an option to select what to install. Regarding Dell - they are not supporting this model any more - the last updates dated to 2007 unfortunately and I have all drivers they suggested... I still want to wait until I will have PS/2 PCI - based on my web searches this can be solution for the problem. If it will not work - I will go for this 1 month old backup...

    okay, good luck and keep us informed.

    Note: Just in case the old driver damaged try to reinstall a fresh copy of it. It doesn't hurt!


    nass -- http://www.nasstec.co.uk

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-25T11:00:12+00:00

    Thanks - I have an option to select what to install. Regarding Dell - they are not supporting this model any more - the last updates dated to 2007 unfortunately and I have all drivers they suggested... I still want to wait until I will have PS/2 PCI - based on my web searches this can be solution for the problem. If it will not work - I will go for this 1 month old backup...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-25T10:54:19+00:00

    The only image backup which have working mouse and keyboard is  month old and this is the last possibility I have if anything else will not help. This is another confirmation that hardware is Ok and problem is with Windows. Actually if I restore to this image Windows will suggest immediately to install 2 updates (XP security and malicious removal tool) - if I install the last one mouse and keyboard will stop working

    Try to make Windows Update offer you what to download and install instead of Automatic download and installation.

    Try this after you restore from an image:

    Click Start >> Control Panel >> Security Centre >> Under manage Security Settings For:

    Click on Automatic Updates and Make sure this Radio Button checked:

    (*)Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

    Click [OK], when updates are available the Yellow Shield will prompt to download double click it and uncheck the updates you don't want.

    This time make sure all drivers up2dates from DELL website.


    nass -- http://www.nasstec.co.uk

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments