Installed updates still appearing

Anonymous
2008-12-09T16:40:50+00:00

I am using Windows Vista and I have recently installed everything on Windows Update for my system, but after shutting down my PC and booting it back up the next day and checking windows update again, I see all the updates I downloaded listed again. I can view my update history and I see them all listed there so I was wondering why I keep seeing all the updates still listed for me to download even though I have already downloaded and installed them.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-06T06:00:48+00:00

Ok, now the nightmare is done... look guys, everyone who still have this problem with the following update (KB954430) can follow these steps, but before I do that; I have to be honest that these steps were sent to me by email from a Microsoft agent his name is Mike Qu.

so these are the steps:

This issue occurs if the previous components of MSXML are corrupted. I suggest we remove and reinstall MSXML components to get the issue resolved.

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility

=============================================

  1. Visit the following link to download the utility: http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe
  2. Save the file to the computer.
  3. Install this tool on the computer.

Step 2: Remove MSXML software

=========================

  1. Click Start -> (All) Programs -> Windows Installer Clean Up.
  2. See if you can find MSXML software. If so, remove them.
  3. Restart the computer.

After that, please try to reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2.

Step 3: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

================================

  1. Please download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and the related updates from the following links and save it to the Desktop.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/5/9657c01e-107f-409c-baac-7d249561629c/msxml.msi

  1. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and follow the directions to save it to the Desktop.
  2. After downloading the MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 setup file and its updates on to the Desktop, please double-click the files to manually install it.

Mike Qu

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

I hope the problem is solved, seriously it worked with me and another computer in my home. Guys to be fare Microsoft is not that bad as people say, its right there is nothing perfect but still Microsoft is doing a great job to help and support its customers. (by the way I'm not one of Microsoft agents and they didn't pay me to say this). However, I'm one of the biggest fans of Microsoft.

Than Q.

Ali.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2008-12-09T16:42:10+00:00

If Windows Updates in Vista keeps offering the same updates, the issue can occur because of the corrupt content in the Software Distribution folder.  You need to rename the Software Distribution folder and then try to access the Windows Update site again.

How to rename the Software Distribution folder in Windows Vista:

  1. Stop the Windows Update service (make sure you are logged on as an Administrator).

 Go to Start button > Control Panel >System and Maintenance >Administrative Tools.

Double-click on Services. You will need to provide the Administrator password or confirmation if you are prompted to do so. Right-click the Windows Update service and click, Stop.

  1. Click Start, type %windir% in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. (Note: %windir% is the Windows directory where Windows Vista is installed). This will bring up a window of the Windows directory so you can locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. Rename it to SoftwareDistributionOld.
  2. Start the Windows Update service.

Go to Start button > Control Panel >System and Maintenance >Administrative Tools.

Double-click on Services. You will need to provide the Administrator password or confirmation

if you are prompted to do so. Right-click the Windows Update service and click, Start.

This procedure will erase your history on the Windows Update service. It is okay to erase the history.

  1. You will need to reboot your system. Without rebooting, the new folder for Software Distribution cannot be successfully created.
  2. You can always check which updates are installed on your computer by going to:

Start button >Control Panel >Programs. Then under Programs and Features - click View installed updates.

Now, you should not be offered the same updates you have already installed.

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-01-06T05:21:13+00:00

    MowGreen said:

    In addition, updates that are continually reoffered may not have installed properly. Check to see if they have installed successfully by viewing the ReportingEvents.log located in WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution. All updates successfully installed automatically or from visiting one of the updates sites manually [Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP] will be listed.

    One should also check the file Versions installed by updates by visiting the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles for said updates.

    EX: KB956802    MS08-071: Vulnerabilities in GDI could allow remote code execution

    Compare the files listed under File Information with the files of the Operating System installed on your computer.


    MVP Windows Server Systems - Microsoft Update Services

    i just checked my installed updates. and it wasn't in the list at all. So why wouldn't it install properly? my computer is fairly new. (Aug 2008) I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-01-06T05:07:42+00:00

    I'm having the same problem with the same update, it says that it was installed successfully and it just keeps downloading.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more