How Do I delete or clear redundant network profiles (names) from my desktop and laptop running Windows 7?

Anonymous
2010-02-04T15:07:44+00:00

With Verizon DSL modem in bridge and Linksys WRT 160N as a router, my desktop and laptop were in a network.  Laptop and printer connected via wireless and desktop by cable.  The network name used to be the same for all connected devices.  However, when my Linksys gave up the ghost a week ago, I reconnected via the Verizon router/modem combination Actiontec WRT704G and ever since I could not print from the laptop, and it takes about 5 minutes to print 2 pages from my desktop.  The network name on my desktop defaults automatically to Network 4, and on the laptop, it has '2' after the old netwok name.  With different network names, I couldn't set up my homegroup.  But I do have access to the internet on both computers.  The network name (SSID) on the router config site and on the printer is the same - the old network name without the '2'.  

I need help or advice on how to clear or delete these other network names and just have 1 network name for all connected devices.  I know that under Vista, you could merge or delete network profiles but  can't seem to find a way to do it in Windows 7.  By the way, my laptop is on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, and the desktop on Home Premiun 64 bit.

Thanks,

Pejuson

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-12T08:33:26+00:00

To merge, delete, rename or change the icon for network locations in Windows 7....

  1. Open the "Control Panel"
  2. Select and open "Network and Sharing Center"

3)Click on the "Icon"(a house icon for me) under "View your active networks". This will open the "Set Network Properties" dialogue. Here you can rename a network connection or change the icon for that network connection.

4)Click on "Merge or Delete Network Locations" to see a list of stored network connections. You can merge or delete connections here as well as see if a network connection is in use and managed or unmanaged.

I found the need for this myself as I had my current internet connection being called out as "Network 4". I wanted to find out what happened to Networks 1,2 & 3. I deleted all but my active Network as this is a Desktop system with one internet connection. I renamed it From Network 4 to my ISP's name.


-Eric

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-05T13:21:36+00:00

Hi pejuson,

To remove redundant network profiles from your computer, you may follow the steps mentioned below and check.

1.       Open Manage Wireless Networks by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type wireless, and then click Manage wireless networks.

2.       Right-click the network profile you want to modify, and then click Properties.

3.       Make the desired changes, and then click OK.

For more information see Create or modify network profiles.

Hope this information helps you.

Regards


Yaaser - Microsoft Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-06T13:34:08+00:00

    In a command prompt run

    C:\>set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    C:\>devmgmt.msc
    

    In the Device Manager window click View → Show hidden devices. Remove the greyed-out adapters under Network Adapters. These adapters had been present at some point in the past, but have been removed for one reason or the other.

    To actually delete a network connection you have to remove the physical adapter, and then remove the device from Windows by clicking grayed out device name and then uninstall in device manager

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-10T23:13:13+00:00

    Worked for me, but I still have a problem. We have 7 machines wired with Ethernet cables to a central box, and 5 of them show up on Network 6, and the other 2 show up on Network 3.

    The 5 can receive scans from a central multifunction copier, but I can't get the 2 to receive scans.

    Any help?

    Kevin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-05T16:43:15+00:00

    Thanks Eric,

    I know this post is quite old now, but this has been one of those annoying things I never got round to looking at. Great tip, sorted my issue out too.

    Thanks

    Jason

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments