Windows Vista Blue Screen 0x0000116 nvlddmkm.sys

Anonymous
2008-12-25T10:53:44+00:00

**Original Title**nvlddmkm.sys causes BSOD

Hi,

I can't start Vista since a week or so. Just before the login screen should apear, it crashes into a BSOD, reporting that the problem is the nvlddmkm.sys driver.

I've been checking the Internet for days now (a lot of forums), and it seems to be a "common" problem, occuring with all kinds hardware and software configurations. I've tried just about everything to fix it, but nothing seems to work.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Maarten

Compaq Presario SR1909, gForce 7600GS, Vista Home Premium.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-15T16:20:42+00:00

Hi Maarte61,

  Sorry to your having so much trouble. Since your having the same issue even when the driver was rolled back, it leads me to believe even more so, that it could be card itself. You might try contacting the cards manufacturer. We could rule this out though, if you have another video card we can try. Do you have one you could test?

Thanks again,


Jason

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-12T13:20:21+00:00

Hi Maarte61,

 Unfortunately, my guess would be the driver or the card itself. Since it worked fine for while, then just stopped. My best guess would be the card's the issue. Can you cancel the driver install when you get to normal mode? If so, I would try canceling it and downloading the new driver. Or if your in "Safe mode with networking" I'd go ahead and download them them and have them ready. So if you can cancel, you wouldn't have to go download them. Let us know and thanks again for posting.

Thanks,


Jason

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-16T20:12:18+00:00

    Unfortunately for me I can't even get into the computer...its on a constant loop of restarting.  It does the same thing regardless of how I try to start Windows...I tried safe mode with all 3 variations of it, I tried last known good configuration, I also tried putting the install disc in and all I could do with that is reformat...I don't know what to do...I was planning on going to best buy to get a new gfx card.  Will that solve the problem?  Do I have to get an ATI or can I get another nvidia?

    btw this is the same guy as crash0999...for some reason it made me use a new sn and email.

    well i know how to fix that in order to just get in to windows if u get blue screen for nvlddmkm.sys only. if this is ur case let me know

    Can you access to recovery mode ? or cmd ? or do u have recovery cd?

    if u have let me know!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-16T16:44:40+00:00

    I've had the same kind of issue :

    last week, after 2 years of running Vista home premium on my laptop HP pavillon DV9294ea (graphic card = Nvidia GeForce 7600 GO), with auto update on, I've first experienced 2 black screens for 2 seconds and then a windows message telling me that the graphic driver nvlddmkm was not reponding and that windows handled the issue. It has hapened a third time causing a complete freeze and a black screen. Even during the boot sequence, I no longer had the HP logo, couldn't see the screen asking for safe mode booting nor the Microsoft progresbar when loading.

    Then, I've performed a deep scan of my computer for viruses => nothing found (NOD32). I've updated the bios to the latest version available => nothing changed except a need to reconfigure the wifi parameters. I've loaded the oldest graphic driver available on my computer, the one of windows update, the one of HP and the one of Nvidia => none of them could allow a a full start of windows, either stoping with a blue screen before password entering or with a freeze 2 seconds after password entering.

    Sometimes, the screen of the laptop is working, sometimes, only the external screen is working (this one is allways working).

    The only way to to start is either safe mode (allways works on the external screen) or normal mode with standard VGA drivers. In this configuration, I've run the laptop for 2 days without any failure, just the sad looking 640*480 screen in 16 colors.

    What are my conclusions :

    I have difficulties to believe that my graphic card hardware is the issue as the computer is able to run perfectly during 2 days with a generic VGA driver and as the external screen is always working when the laptop screen sometimes yes, sometimes no. At least one part of my card still works and this can be prooven.

    Secondly, I've read many answers telling that because something wrong could be seen before windows starting was meaning that the issue was not linked with windows. I disagree with that. Why? Because even the vista progressbar uses obviously more than 16 colors so this means that when it apears, some kind of drivers are allready loaded as this is not a VGA display that could be displayed without any driver. Another reason for this is that for the 2 years of running the laptop, I've never seen in it's display the memory count which I can see on the external display : this prooves that there is some kind of intelligence (capabableity to hide some information) even when at the bios level.

    Unfortunately, HP BIOS has been locked so there is no way to enter it and try to disable some functionnality or have a look to the GPU parameters. It's also not possible to try another graphic card as it is on board. The other thing is that this issue is too common and too diverse to be a graphic card failure each time. In my case, I use the laptop only for internet, word and excel so nothing that could overload the graphic card too. My understanding is that from one way or another, some low level parameters have been corrupted but windows does not help a lot to explian why it crashed.

    Isn't it possible to get a nvlddmkm.sys  file with various modes enabled and disabled to see which one is causing the issue as in my case, it is allready obvious that the VGA part is working correctly? From my point of view, Microsoft should provide possibilities to enable and disable some features it uses on the graphic cards to help users determine what precisely is wrong. Just asking to use the newest drivers or to buy a new graphic card is not a fair option as at the end, this is a windows crash (blue screen) when windows is at least capable to display that screen!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-12T17:26:43+00:00

    Unfortunately for me I can't even get into the computer...its on a constant loop of restarting.  It does the same thing regardless of how I try to start Windows...I tried safe mode with all 3 variations of it, I tried last known good configuration, I also tried putting the install disc in and all I could do with that is reformat...I don't know what to do...I was planning on going to best buy to get a new gfx card.  Will that solve the problem?  Do I have to get an ATI or can I get another nvidia?

    btw this is the same guy as crash0999...for some reason it made me use a new sn and email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments