Windows Vista Blue Screen 0x0000116 nvlddmkm.sys

Anonymous
2008-12-25T10:53:44+00:00

**Original Title**nvlddmkm.sys causes BSOD

Hi,

I can't start Vista since a week or so. Just before the login screen should apear, it crashes into a BSOD, reporting that the problem is the nvlddmkm.sys driver.

I've been checking the Internet for days now (a lot of forums), and it seems to be a "common" problem, occuring with all kinds hardware and software configurations. I've tried just about everything to fix it, but nothing seems to work.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Maarten

Compaq Presario SR1909, gForce 7600GS, Vista Home Premium.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-15T16:20:42+00:00

Hi Maarte61,

  Sorry to your having so much trouble. Since your having the same issue even when the driver was rolled back, it leads me to believe even more so, that it could be card itself. You might try contacting the cards manufacturer. We could rule this out though, if you have another video card we can try. Do you have one you could test?

Thanks again,


Jason

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-12T13:20:21+00:00

Hi Maarte61,

 Unfortunately, my guess would be the driver or the card itself. Since it worked fine for while, then just stopped. My best guess would be the card's the issue. Can you cancel the driver install when you get to normal mode? If so, I would try canceling it and downloading the new driver. Or if your in "Safe mode with networking" I'd go ahead and download them them and have them ready. So if you can cancel, you wouldn't have to go download them. Let us know and thanks again for posting.

Thanks,


Jason

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2008-12-29T00:10:47+00:00

    Hi Maarten, I've been having the same problem. I am working on a HP Pavillion dv9000 running Vista - 32 with the same card, nVidia GeForce Go 7600.

    My laptop has gone from an occasional flicker to constant pixelated screen and sometimes will not even boot up entirely. It goes to the BSOD and gives some messages but I can barely even make out those messages due to the severity of the screen.

    I tried doing an update to the driver from the HP screen and I think it installed completely but the problems have continued.

    I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I chatted online with HP Support and they basically say it's an nVidia problem - NOT theirs...

    I am very comfortable working with pc's so I am not a beginner, but this one has me stumped. And I can't really find a solid answer online yet.

    I hope the folks here at MS are able to lend some support.

    Regards,

    jcarissimo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2008-12-27T13:37:01+00:00

    Hi,

    I agree. Even more people run without any problems at all. Like I did, for more then a year. Then, it appeared, for no reason at all. idn't install any new programs or hardware for a substatial period of time. I was browsing the internet, and my PC crashed. No aparent reason at all. I was able to boot normaly for 1 or 2 days, but the crashes came mote freqent. And now unable to boot, only in safe mode.

    However, an awefull lot of people DO have this problem. And an awefull lot of them can't fix it. Haven't been able to, for serveral weeks.

    Disableling devices? Why? I bought a pc, switched it on and it worked. For more then a year. What devices should I disable?

    I think nVidia and Microsoft should take their responsibility, get their acts together, join their efforts and release some kinda resolution asap. Male it top priority. Seeing how many ppl suffer this problem, seems to me it should be top priority.

    Maarten

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2008-12-27T12:03:30+00:00

    Lot's of folks are running those nVidia drivers on Vista without that error. Those other users you have found having this trouble are probably all running some other device or driver causing a conflict. My approach would be to disable all unneeded devices temporarily in device manager, and restart. Then add back in one device and driver at a time till I spotted the conflicting device driver.


    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments