Windows Vista Blue Screen 0x0000116 nvlddmkm.sys

Anonymous
2008-12-25T10:53:44+00:00

**Original Title**nvlddmkm.sys causes BSOD

Hi,

I can't start Vista since a week or so. Just before the login screen should apear, it crashes into a BSOD, reporting that the problem is the nvlddmkm.sys driver.

I've been checking the Internet for days now (a lot of forums), and it seems to be a "common" problem, occuring with all kinds hardware and software configurations. I've tried just about everything to fix it, but nothing seems to work.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Maarten

Compaq Presario SR1909, gForce 7600GS, Vista Home Premium.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-15T16:20:42+00:00

Hi Maarte61,

  Sorry to your having so much trouble. Since your having the same issue even when the driver was rolled back, it leads me to believe even more so, that it could be card itself. You might try contacting the cards manufacturer. We could rule this out though, if you have another video card we can try. Do you have one you could test?

Thanks again,


Jason

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-12T13:20:21+00:00

Hi Maarte61,

 Unfortunately, my guess would be the driver or the card itself. Since it worked fine for while, then just stopped. My best guess would be the card's the issue. Can you cancel the driver install when you get to normal mode? If so, I would try canceling it and downloading the new driver. Or if your in "Safe mode with networking" I'd go ahead and download them them and have them ready. So if you can cancel, you wouldn't have to go download them. Let us know and thanks again for posting.

Thanks,


Jason

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-01-09T15:17:53+00:00

    Hi Carlos,

    Thanks again :)

    Answer 1: Stop 0x0000116 (0x84EF4008, 0x9140F1C0, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)

                  nvlddmlm.sys - Address 9140F1C0 base at 91401000, Datestamp 4946c926

    Answer 2: Unplugged everything, including kbd and mouse. Same result.

    Answer 3: Yes, I also tried the clean boot with the MS Services. I pretty much followed Brian's instructions.

    TIA

    Maarten

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-01-08T16:18:59+00:00

    Maarten61,

    I would like to know a little bit more information about the blue screen that you are getting. Please answer the questions below so we may better assist you.

    Question 1. What is the stop error that you are getting? Example (Stop 0x0000007)

    Question 2. Do you have any USB devices plugged in? If so try unplugging them before you start the computer.

    Question 3. Did you try the Clean Boot as Brian Suggested "With the Microsoft Services Turned On"

    Note: You mentioned that you disabled everything including the Microsoft Services.


    Carlos

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-01-08T12:33:22+00:00

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for your elaborate answer. I've tried it and what it comes down to:

    • I have chosen Selective startup on the General tab, Load startup items not checked.
    • On the Services tab, everything disabled, including Microsoft services. Except for Group Policy Client and Task Scheduler, which aparently can't be disabled.
    • On the Startup tab I have everything disabled.

    Result is still the same. The progress-bar with (c) Microsoft Corp appears (about a minute), the screen goes black for about 30 seconds, and then the BSOD, still blaming the same driver.

    I've checked and re-checked if everything is like I explained above. FYI, everything I do is in Safe Mode ofcourse, since I can't startup normaly, and I have UAC disabled (someone mentioned that too could be the problem).

    Maarten

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments