DVD/CD-ROM drive Code 39

Anonymous
2010-05-27T17:53:15+00:00

I've never had this problem before on this computer.  I install the CD drive, turn on the computer, and I get: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried to update the driver, but: "Windows could not find a better match."

Here are the drive's specs: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Driver Version: 5.1.2523.0,  Driver Date: 7/1/2001

I guess it could just be an outdated device, but so is everything else on my PC.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-27T18:15:37+00:00

I've never had this problem before on this computer.  I install the CD drive, turn on the computer, and I get: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried to update the driver, but: "Windows could not find a better match."

Here are the drive's specs: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Driver Version: 5.1.2523.0,  Driver Date: 7/1/2001

I guess it could just be an outdated device, but so is everything else on my PC.

Method-1

CauseThere are several causes of Code 39 errors:

  • A required device driver is missing.
  • A required binary file is corrupted.
  • There is a problem with the file I/O process.
  • A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

  1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then clickUninstall. Follow the instructions.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Method-2

Make a backup of the registry.

Go to menu Start and select Run.

Type regedit and select OK.

Remove Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values of the following key to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Restart your computer to save all configuration.

Please reply, if you face any problem.


K M JHA Technical Support Executive (INDIA)

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-02T16:31:31+00:00

    Method 2 worked instantly.  Windows Vista.  Much Thanks.  Method 1 was unsuccessful for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-03T06:23:30+00:00

    Great! It worked for lots of people who were facing problem with CD/DVD drive, however I would request all of you please be careful while making chnages/deleting something from Windows Registry. If something else will get deleted from Registry then It might cause serious problems, so never forget to take registry backup as well before making changes.

    Please Mark this as Helpful, if this solved your CD/DVD drive issue.

    Thanks all of you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-21T10:05:35+00:00

    I know this is an old thread, but I've recently had this problem. After trying all the so called quick fixes, (none of which worked) a friend suggested a defrag. Guess what - it worked!! PC now running perfectly.

    Sometimes the most obvious solution is the answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-31T05:01:14+00:00

    How do you make a backup of the registry? And I was able to locate the key you specified but I don't know how to remove Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. I didn't see anything that specified what those were or how to remove them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments