DVD/CD-ROM drive Code 39

Anonymous
2010-05-27T17:53:15+00:00

I've never had this problem before on this computer.  I install the CD drive, turn on the computer, and I get: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried to update the driver, but: "Windows could not find a better match."

Here are the drive's specs: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Driver Version: 5.1.2523.0,  Driver Date: 7/1/2001

I guess it could just be an outdated device, but so is everything else on my PC.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-27T18:15:37+00:00

I've never had this problem before on this computer.  I install the CD drive, turn on the computer, and I get: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried to update the driver, but: "Windows could not find a better match."

Here are the drive's specs: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Driver Version: 5.1.2523.0,  Driver Date: 7/1/2001

I guess it could just be an outdated device, but so is everything else on my PC.

Method-1

CauseThere are several causes of Code 39 errors:

  • A required device driver is missing.
  • A required binary file is corrupted.
  • There is a problem with the file I/O process.
  • A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

  1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then clickUninstall. Follow the instructions.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Method-2

Make a backup of the registry.

Go to menu Start and select Run.

Type regedit and select OK.

Remove Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values of the following key to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Restart your computer to save all configuration.

Please reply, if you face any problem.


K M JHA Technical Support Executive (INDIA)

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T16:02:48+00:00

    Had this issue with WIN10 on a matshiita dvd-ram uj8d2q drive in an Acer aspire e 15. Completed method 1, no change. Method 2 fixed the issue.

    Thanks for the tip.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-21T15:21:44+00:00

    I do not have this information on mine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-01T20:22:20+00:00

    method 2 worked for me thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-08T16:41:51+00:00

    method 2 worked for me thanks

    I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with Windows XP.

    Tried method 2. Windows XP sees my cdrom (D) and dvd drives (F), but cannot read or display contents of the drive. Put an audio cd in cd drive D. Media Player played the cd and I can hear it (listed cd as unknown). Any non-audio cd cannot be read.

    Tried a method I saw on Youtube.

    Using Registry Editor here's what I did. I went to:

    HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE - System - Current Control Set - Windows. On right side, clicked Error Mode. Under DWORD, changed Value to 2, changed Base to Decimal. However, the base reverts back to Hexadecimal each time, whether I refresh the page or not. 

    Interesting enough, I started the computer in safe mode, inserted a cd into D drive to install software for my dvd drive. It read the drive. I tried to install the software but an error message said that the policy permissions didn't allow the installation. I was logged as Administrator.

    Another thing: I used my Dell Diagnostic tool and played a track, but I could not hear it. Got a message which said it couldn't find an audio subsystem. Could the sound card be the problem? 

    I could use some help here. Anyone have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments