DVD/CD-ROM drive Code 39

Anonymous
2010-05-27T17:53:15+00:00

I've never had this problem before on this computer.  I install the CD drive, turn on the computer, and I get: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried to update the driver, but: "Windows could not find a better match."

Here are the drive's specs: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Driver Version: 5.1.2523.0,  Driver Date: 7/1/2001

I guess it could just be an outdated device, but so is everything else on my PC.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-27T18:15:37+00:00

I've never had this problem before on this computer.  I install the CD drive, turn on the computer, and I get: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried to update the driver, but: "Windows could not find a better match."

Here are the drive's specs: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Driver Version: 5.1.2523.0,  Driver Date: 7/1/2001

I guess it could just be an outdated device, but so is everything else on my PC.

Method-1

CauseThere are several causes of Code 39 errors:

  • A required device driver is missing.
  • A required binary file is corrupted.
  • There is a problem with the file I/O process.
  • A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

  1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then clickUninstall. Follow the instructions.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Method-2

Make a backup of the registry.

Go to menu Start and select Run.

Type regedit and select OK.

Remove Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values of the following key to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Restart your computer to save all configuration.

Please reply, if you face any problem.


K M JHA Technical Support Executive (INDIA)

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-30T13:23:48+00:00

    Me too having this problem, not with CD DVD Rom, with USB Mass Storage.

    Since I have Vioa Ultrabook No CD ROM.

    All USB devices working except pen drives.

    I receive the same Code 39.

    However the above two solutions DIDN"T solve my problem...

    Still searching... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-16T03:01:06+00:00

    ThanQ

    The Method 2 worked beautifully. But can u explain why this happened and how deleting the upper filter value solved this

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-20T16:40:38+00:00

    Hello.. i dont see any Higher nor Lower filters... its strange here... i want this fixed plz help me....! 

    Branko-

    I too had the same question you did but I figured it out.  After you go "start run regedit", the "Registry Editor" opens in a new window.

    It is a "two-pane" window.  You may have to slide the middle divider over by clicking and dragging it to make the left-hand window larger so you can see the full names of these long directories.

    Look on the left side first and find the following directory:

    /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    Once you highlight down to the part in {braces}, then look over at the window pane on the RIGHT for a list of the files included in this directory.  There will be two files - one named "Upperfilters" and one named  "Lowerfilters".

    Delete them both and restart your computer.  Your DVD drive will be working perfectly once again.

    A HUGE THANK YOU TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER OF THIS SOLUTION!!!!  Gotta LOVE IT when things work!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T17:41:46+00:00

    Hello.. i dont see any Higher nor Lower filters... its strange here... i want this fixed plz help me....!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments