DVD/CD-ROM drive Code 39

Anonymous
2010-05-27T17:53:15+00:00

I've never had this problem before on this computer.  I install the CD drive, turn on the computer, and I get: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried to update the driver, but: "Windows could not find a better match."

Here are the drive's specs: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Driver Version: 5.1.2523.0,  Driver Date: 7/1/2001

I guess it could just be an outdated device, but so is everything else on my PC.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-27T18:15:37+00:00

I've never had this problem before on this computer.  I install the CD drive, turn on the computer, and I get: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried to update the driver, but: "Windows could not find a better match."

Here are the drive's specs: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Driver Version: 5.1.2523.0,  Driver Date: 7/1/2001

I guess it could just be an outdated device, but so is everything else on my PC.

Method-1

CauseThere are several causes of Code 39 errors:

  • A required device driver is missing.
  • A required binary file is corrupted.
  • There is a problem with the file I/O process.
  • A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

  1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then clickUninstall. Follow the instructions.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Method-2

Make a backup of the registry.

Go to menu Start and select Run.

Type regedit and select OK.

Remove Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values of the following key to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Restart your computer to save all configuration.

Please reply, if you face any problem.


K M JHA Technical Support Executive (INDIA)

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-12-31T08:48:07+00:00

    Thanks Mr. Jha, 

    The Method 2 worked beautifully. But can u explain why this happened and how deleting the upperfilter value solved this....i didnt make any backup of the registry. Does that make any difference.?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-11T22:38:18+00:00

    Method #2 worked for me.  I was cleaning up after a fakealert trojan infestation, and my DVD drives would not install in Windows XP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-02T08:19:26+00:00

    I have same problem and i tried to access the registry key and it is denying me the access even though i am the administrator and only user of this system. Can you please help me out

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-13T12:54:56+00:00

    On Windows XP Pro SP3 method 2 helped!

    Thanks K M JHA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments