The file icon size must be medium or large for the thumbnails to show. Small icons will only show thw generic thumbnail.
There must also be codecs installed to generate the thumbnails for the file types.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have two programs "Cricut Design Studio" and "4D Embroidery System" both of which show the program icon on the thumbnail instead of the thumbnail picture itself. I spent 4 hours on the phone with HP Support yesterday (since my copy of Windows 7 is an OEM product) - they were unable to correct the problem. I am experiencing this same problem on my new desktop that has Windows 7 on it. I have tried all the usual fixes - eg. in folder options unchecking "Always show Icons not Thumbnails" and both checking and unchecking "Display file icon on thumbnails" - also in the Control Panel under System, Advanced System Settings, Advanced tab , Preformance settings, making sure the "Show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked.
I have XP on my old desktop computer - the program icons display the pictures on the thumbnails correctly on that computer.
I can load those files onto a jump drive, plug that jump into my Windows 7, and the files on the jump show the thumbnail pictures correctly. If I transfer those files onto the computers with Windows 7 on them, they become icons of the program again (instead of pictures of the file). In Windows 7, I have all the latest updates, and both of the programs that I can't see the pictures on the thumbnails also have the latest updates, and are completely compatible with Win 7.
This is a real problem for me because I work with these files (over 10,000 of them) daily. The many of the file names are just numbers, so without the pictures, I can't tell which file to open. Please HELP!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
The file icon size must be medium or large for the thumbnails to show. Small icons will only show thw generic thumbnail.
There must also be codecs installed to generate the thumbnails for the file types.
In Windows Explorer,
click on Organize - Folder and Search Options - View
uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
OK
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
http://download.live.com/wlmail
"ferretgirl" wrote in message
news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
I still get the icon instead of the picture, even when I am on large view?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
I got the problem yesterday, and it was due to having filled the system drive (there was less than 100MB free), so Windows was unable to allocate enough space for the thumbnail caches. Freeing up some space fixed it.
(Unfortunately, Windows 7 does not have a don’t-cache-thumbnails option like XP did, so you either must cache them, or else not get thumbnails at all.)
This worked for me: From the Start menu toolbar on your desktop, click on Pictures. Click on Tools, then click on Folder Options, and click on View. You will see a section called Files and Folders. Make sure that "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is UNCHECKED.
I had similar problem and found it was my Norton Security Suite settings. I toggled off Backup Status Overlays to fix it.
Many thanks for this. I use AVG for my security software and am not sure what the equivalent to 'Backup Status Overlays' is!
However, I found a workaround for the problem. Originally, I had downloaded some photos from the web to the hard drive on my laptop and found the resulting files were zipped. On unzipping, only icons were visible on the thumbnails, not the actual pictures. However, on copying the individual unzipped photos from the hdd back to an SD card in a camera and then back again to the hdd, the pictures appeared!