Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset

Anonymous
2010-02-04T16:15:04+00:00

I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-07T23:06:19+00:00

    Sounds like there may be a driver loading when not in safe mode that's causing this issue.

    Please run the application msinfo32 on your machine and follow the steps in the app to save the output to a file.

    Then post that file in a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.  I'd like to see what other apps are installed.


    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-07T22:34:49+00:00

    I tried uninstalling as suggested but it made no difference. If I go to msconfig and do a diagnostic startup the problem still exist. If I start in safe mode the transfers work perfectly. I can turn off all the startup items and all the non microsoft services and the problem still exist.  Safe mode works  fine for the large file transfers. I hope this information helps.

    Thanks for working with me on this problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-07T02:31:25+00:00

    Try uninstalling Acronis True Image (before you do that, make sure you have the product key and the install media so you can reinstall the app).

    Then try copying files to see if you still encounter the issue.


    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-07T02:28:11+00:00

    Anymore ideas ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-02-06T02:08:43+00:00

    Hello,

    1.) I am trying to transfer the files in Windows explorer.

    2.)I haven't been able to transfer large files at all without a freeze/stall.

    3.) No error message. The transfer just stops and sits there. The USB hard drive activity light stops flashing and just stays on.

    4.)Yes, my drives are both formatted in NTFS.

    Step1. Drives are already NTFS

    Step2.  Yes I can transfer smaller files <50megs without incident

    Step3. I did this and there was no difference, problem still exist.

    I have installed the latest chipset drivers for the manufacturer

    The issue seems to be worse transferring from the USB drive to the computer hard drive. I have less trouble going from the computer hard drive to the USB hard drive. Example: I can use Acronis True Image and create an image on the USB hard drive no problem. When I try to verify the image on the USB hard drive it locks up. As I said the problem is predominately going from the USB drive to the computer hard drive

    Thanks for you assistance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments