So I guess no one has anymore ideas ?
Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset
I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2010-02-11T16:33:07+00:00 -
Anonymous
2010-02-08T23:58:31+00:00 I uninstalled all the programs you suggested, unfortunately it would now lock up the computer at the start of a large file transfer and force a reboot. I am not sure why safe mode works . If I am in msconfig and disable all the non microsoft services and all the startup items , what is safe mode doing differently. Maybe I could start looking there. Going through items one at a time until I find it. I am just not sure where to start.
I also downloaded a copy of richcopy as suggested. It transferred 921mb of file in six directories with no problems from the USB drive to the computer.
As I said earlier, I can write large files to the USB hard drive. The problem occurs when I try to copy large files or groups of files from the USB hard drive to the computer.
Thanks for your efforts. Please keep the suggestions coming. From what I am reading , I am certainly not the only one with this problem.
-
Anonymous
2010-02-08T05:00:37+00:00 It might be worth trying RichCopy as a test.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx?pr=blog
Tom
-
Anonymous
2010-02-08T04:46:31+00:00 Thanks for posting that.
In that file, I see that drivers for Acronis were still installed and the app itself was still in your startup folder. You might want to try uninstalling the app again, and make sure the drivers are removed when the app is gone.
I see a few other apps that would also be involved in file transfers: Avast antivirus, a-squared free antivirus, NTI backup Now, and MyWinLocker encryption software.
I'd suggest uninstalling the apps individually to see if it's isolated to a specific one.
For avast, you should be able to uninstall that on a temporary basis to see if that resolves your problem. I also see a service named "a-squared free", which appears to be another antivirus app. Do you have 2 AV apps installed?
For MyWinLocker, I'm not sure if it's that simple. You probably have to follow some process to decrypt your files before uninstalling the app. I don't know anything about this app, so unfortunately I can't guide you on the appropriate uninstall steps. You might want to check their website to see if they offer suggestions on the best way to do this.
Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
-
Anonymous
2010-02-08T00:42:36+00:00 Here is the link
http://cid-6e64b4261b829553.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/croth44b.txt
Thanks Again