Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset

Anonymous
2010-02-04T16:15:04+00:00

I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-24T13:36:34+00:00

    Hello, im having a similar problem.. In my case, transferring large files (like over 1 gb) over usb drives freeze the system. I get no slowdowns, no error messages, the pc just freezes during the transfer and requires a cold boot to work again. All other usb devices work so its definately related to usb storage devices only. Strangely, usb thumb drive and/or hard drives work after the reboot, given the system boots up with the storage devices connected, and i can then move the files..  Im running win 7 64-bit on an amd phenom 2 system with 790fx chipset.. updating chipset drivers and mainboard bios didnt help. Any suggestions??

    Thanks..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-14T21:56:34+00:00

    I tried this and no difference. Any other ideas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-05T02:05:41+00:00

    Can you try the workaround discussed here http://windows7tipsonline.com/USB\_Problem.htm to see if it fixes the problem. It basically reduces your RAM size to 2GB.

    From an elevated command prompt (right click on the command prompt shortcut, run as administrator):

    1. Type "bcdedit /set truncatememory 0x80000000" (no quotes)
    2. Reboot
    3. Go to control panel -> System and Security -> view amount of RAM and processor speed.
    • It should report 4GB (2GB available)

    To undo this, open an elevated command prompt again:

    1. Type "bcdedit /deletevalue truncatememory" (no quotes)
    2. Reboot
    3. Go to control panel -> System and Security -> view amount of RAM and processor speed.
    • It should report 4GB

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-01T23:58:08+00:00

    Everyone out of ideas?? Is this a Window 7 problem ? Seems like alot of people are having this issue We can't all have driver issues. This is a real annoying issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-02-24T02:48:24+00:00

    I have tried these and run the installation program  but when I look in device manager and look at the driver version for the enhanced USB controller it still shows microsoft as the driver provider. The driver version doesn't seem to change

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments