Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset

Anonymous
2010-02-04T16:15:04+00:00

I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-28T23:50:01+00:00

    This installer and file package might be of interest. It would appear to cover Windows 7 64 bit. The written file description gives no indication of it but the contents appear to be written to include appropriate installation and support files for your chipset. But what do I know? I'm bankrupt of ideas, flat and forlorn. :-))

    http://www.acer.ca/acer/service.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&miu10einu24.current.attN2B2F2EEF=3751&sp=page15e&ctx2.c2att1=27&miu10ekcond13.attN2B2F2EEF=3751&CountryISOCtxParam=CA&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=719687231

    Tom

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-28T22:27:35+00:00

    So that's it.  No more ideas from anyone.  I hope Microsoft or Intel comes out with some kind of update. Not being able to copy large files from a USB drive is a real pain in the butt. Searching the internet shows this to be a fairly common problem, USB and Windows 7,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-25T23:24:51+00:00

    Unfortunately that won't help me. I 'm using a laptop and the BIOS doesn't have very many options.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-25T16:15:10+00:00

    Hello again, i came across a posting about file transfer problems in asus mainboard forums which suggested disabling the "USB to EHCI hand-off" in the bios. Thats enabled by default for the mobo i have, m4a79. I dont yet know if it completely solved the problem but its certainly an improvement as i was able to transfer 8 gigs from a thumb drive without freezing right after a cold boot. I'll try an external hdd with larger files and post the results..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-03-24T23:34:38+00:00

    I tried your idea of having the hard drive plugged in during boot up.  I was able to transfer the file with no problem. When I tried to transfer the file again on the same bootup  it locked up and I had to reboot.  If I go into device manager and disable the enhanced USB controller(in my case ICH9 usb2 enhance host controller) I can transfer files all day but they transfer at 1.1 speeds, SLOW. I hope one of the Microsoft wizards finds an answer soon. It definitely seems to be a 64 bit problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments