They finally fixed it for the Acer 8735G with a BIOS update
Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset
I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2010-04-18T13:23:20+00:00 -
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2010-04-01T07:04:10+00:00 Hello again, is there a fix for this issue yet? The bios option i mentioned above somehow helps in my case but does not totally fix the situation. Large file transfers over usb still cause random freezes.. Smaller files transfer just fine..
-
Anonymous
2010-03-29T02:48:04+00:00 And so I did! That confirms it. No only am I out of ideas, I am out of memory, too.
Tom
-
Anonymous
2010-03-29T02:11:54+00:00 Tom,
Thanks for replying. You suggested these back in Feb and I tried them. Unfortunately they made no difference. Like I said earlier, if I disable the enhanced USB2 Host controller in device manager I can copy. But it is at a very slow speed 1.1 speeds.
I can copy to the USB drive. The problem occurs when trying to copy a large file from the USB drive to the computer. Makes me believe that it is a combination of Windows 7 64bit and the PM45 chipset driver. I too, am out of idea. s