Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset

Anonymous
2010-02-04T16:15:04+00:00

I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-06-04T10:33:41+00:00

    I had a similar problem. I fixed it by right clicking on the USB Drive icon within My Computer (Vista), then selecting Properties, Tools and running Check Now to automaically fix errors.

    Hope this helps.

    The Alf Miester

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-04T09:21:34+00:00

    Hi,

    I have exactly the same type of Laptop as you and exactly the same problem as you!

    I think that this is hardware issue rather then software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-24T21:40:10+00:00

    To follow up my above post I may have found a fix/workaround for my USB hard drive curruption issues and this might be the fix to your problems too.

    I have gone to the properties of the USB HDD in Device Manager and then to the Policies tab and have set the device to "Better Performance" as opposed to the default of "Quick Removal". BE AWARE: you must now make sure you do safe removal before unplugging the device or you risk data loss (no big deal to me as I always did safe removal anyway).

    This strangely seems to remove all curruption issues but must be done on every USB HDD as it is a policy for that device and not all USB HDD's. Once set on that PC it should remain set for future use.

    I have tried and tried over and over with 27Gb Ghost files and various other random sized files and I cannot get a single one to fail CRC checks meaning they are 100% identical and no curruption has occured. These tests were performed on my 2 "problem" PC's both with x64 Windows 7 (Pro & Enteprise) and 4GB RAM. They are different machines (ie different motherboards and CPUs etc).

    I have no idea what the root cause of the problem is (although it seems only to occur in x64 Windows with 4GB+ RAM) but I hope this info may help you guys sort your issues too until MS issue a fix (hopefully).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-23T14:11:46+00:00

    I still need to do some testing on this but I have switch my USB HDD to "Optimised for Faster Performance" and I haven't been able to make it fail a file yet. As I said I need to carry on testing more but as soon as I turned that option back to the normal "Optimised for Safe Removal" I had currupted files again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-01-21T13:30:01+00:00

    Just to let people know I have now tried after installing Service Park 1 for Windows 7 x64 and the problem still exists so sadly the Service Pack doesn't help. Really need this fixing as it's a nightmare having to use my Laptop (with x86 Windows 7 and 2Gb RAM) to copy large files to USB (over the network from the problem machine) or CRC check everything.

    I think it's reasonable to want to have confidence in the data transfers. :P

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments